Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, December 16, 2021

Seasonal Sketches

There were a couple of prompts on the Scavenger Hunt from Life for seasonal items.  One was seasonal flowers.  Joanna stopped by for lunch yesterday and brought a couple of poinsettias.  Perfect!

Yesterday I played in the water.  You know I'm not a water colorist, but this sort of worked.  This is in the water color sketchbook, about 7 x 10 inches.

For Hunt #5  https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-5-dec-12-dec-20.2904/ 

Number 2 seasonal flower - at least an hour waiting for paint to dry.


Number 2 seasonal flower (again)- on the new MiTeintes paper with pastels.  You can see the grid on the paper and this is the smooth side.  It is OK for sketching but wouldn't use it for a painting.  I like the old MiTientes for pastels, inexpensive and takes 3 or so layers of pastel.  This new stuff is sort of plastic like and takes about 1 and half layers.  I blended on the big leaf to the left and it still didn't cover the grid.   About twenty minutes with various pastels.  The flowers were more yellow than white.  I was surprised at that, not sure why??

Hope this helps your Christmas spirit.  It does me.  Gene and I put up the tree and will decorate it soon.  We plan  to put the outside lights on the fence today.  We had the house painted and the painter took down the hooks for the lights under the eaves so no hanging up there.  We don't need to be on ladders anyway.  Larry came the day before and helped us get the Christmas stuff out of the attic.  He also changed the smoke alarm batteries.  Sorry if this part is a repeat.  Old age does that to you.

I think we will have tamales and eggs for brunch.  I have to make tortillas again.  Made some yesterday and the day before but gave the leftovers to Joanna and Larry.  We have tamales at Christmas.  We eat New Mexico Style food.  Ah, now I'm hungry.

6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice work on the poinsettias. I have a small plant sitting on my coffee table that I brought home from the show over the weekend. Hopefully I will get it sketched before the petals start falling off. lol I am almost finished writing out the last of my cards, but all the things from the show are still in the living room and so is the box with the artificial Christmas tree. Maybe that will get done soon.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you so much. It is sad how much slower we are now. Takes so long to do things. A 20 minute shower takes 40 minutes now. Heh, heh. We will get the tree decorated soon.

Jennifer Rose said...

didnt know they had changed the mi-teintes paper, good to know

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, they didn't change the old/standard one. Just added a cheaper version. Thanks for visiting.

Bag Blog said...

I find watercolor poinsettias difficult to paint for some reason. Or maybe they just don't seem interesting after I get done with them. Years ago, I did a great one - how did I do that? We had tamales yesterday after church. There is a family that sells them outside our church on Sundays - very convenient.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I painted a good one a few years ago as well. One of those things that I couldn't repeat. Maybe that plant was a better model. These are a bit old and thin. Tamales are so good at Christmas. Just seem special at that time.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (104) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (982) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (14) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)