Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, July 26, 2021

Sketches Hard

Sketching shouldn't be hard.  It should be a way to make progress in your art, try something new, practice and relax.  My sketching is practice for the most part.  I have been posting my sketches here and online.  My blog is sort of a journal with sketches, paintings and life.  Sketchbooks can be full of notes and ideas and are not generally open to the public.  I've done more sketching because I do post them.  I feel guilty if I don't do my "homework".  Sketching is good for you whether you post it to the world or not.  Up to you!

I could possibly have more readers if I focused just on art with lots of "how to" and art history.  Art for me is part of my life but not the most important part.  So my loyal readers are stuck with my "life" as well.

One of the items on Scavenger Hunt 687 was "hard".  We can make our own interpretations.  I chose to make it something that is hard not soft,  as opposed to difficult.  Sometimes they are interchangeable, eh?

For the Hunt,  You can click on the images to see them larger.

Number 7 (I think), hard - a china cup at the Texas Grill.  I didn't think to sketch my "different" cup on a coaster until we were almost ready to leave.  This is about a 2 minute sketch with Gene's pen.  I added the green at home with a Sharpie fine line marker/pen.  It wasn't difficult.

On the 23rd, I sketched in the big book with a Pilot ballpoint pen and colored pencils.  Gene's favorite wine in a box.  The Cabernet is from Chile so that makes it better.  Joanna gave us cookies in the can(s) at Christmas.  I bought some more cookies to replace the ones we ate.  The cans make great storage for shortbread cookies.  The other can is red plaid.  This sketch was more difficult.  I had a bit of a perspective problem in my freehand drawing.

For the Hunt Number 2 and 3, in a box and in a can.


For the July Challenge on wetcanvas, Southwest and Western forum, I sketched in an Art Street sketchbook the miniature horses we saw when we were looking for a house in Bastrop in 2011.  We try to do paintings for that forum.  A sketch is better than nothing.  This is freehand with a Micron 02.

I worked on the  cactus blooms photo that I put in the challenge.  I attempted a watercolor.  It did not come out well enough to post here ... it stays in the Art Street sketchbook.  As I said, not all sketches and notes are public info.




4 comments:

R's Rue said...

To have quality is better than quantity. I have to remind myself of it daily. I always enjoy my time here in your corner of the internet. Many blessings my friend.

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you so much. Your poems are true to life. Take care.

Jennifer Rose said...

sketching is hard, especially when practising. if its hard it means you are learning a new way of creating :)

Jo Castillo said...

Hey, Jennifer Rose! Thank you. You are always working hard and creating. Yay.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)