Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Different Media

I've been sketching in the big book in hopes to finish by Christmas.  That does get repetitive and boring to me so I have to escape to my pastels or digital or some other type of media.

Yesterday afternoon I was invited to a women's get together at the library.  It was a chance to get out and talk to other people ... yay.  There were 16 women there with plenty of conversation.  We couldn't talk fast enough to squeeze so much into an hour.  Afterwards I stopped to get Gene and I pizza for dinner.  I had my travel sketchbook so while I waited for the pizza, I did a 15 minute sketch.

Number 2, building and Number 3, vehicle - in the travel sketchbook with a Micron 02 pen.  I was in a hurry and didn't notice how "off" the jeep was.  It looks like a race car on the front end smooshed into the car next to it. It makes the sketch unique in many ways.

This morning I sat in the glider on the porch instead of my chair to get a slightly different view for my landscape.  I have sketched the trees so many times.  I needed color so sketched on the iPad with the app, Brushes, and my Apple Pencil.  I probably spent about half an hour on it.  A bit of extra time is required for remembering how to switch colors, brushes and textures.  A good exercise for my brain ... I hope.

Number 4, landscape - out back

***********************

 Yesterday I mentioned Nicole Caulfield.  She is a generous and sharing person and did a blog for a long time.  She talks about how to frame the colored pencil without glass on this post.

http://nicolecaulfieldfineart.blogspot.com/2011/01/framing-colored-pencil-without-glass.html

She hasn't posted on her blog since 2015, but it is there and full of hints and techniques.  You will enjoy looking it over.  She seems to concentrate more now on her website and Instagram.

I did one colored pencil in that style and sprayed it, the San Miguel Church in Socorro.  There are a few posts about it:

https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/search?q=san+miguel

Colored pencil is detailed.  I can do it  ...  it is just slow and not so much fun to color and color.  You may find that relaxing, not my thing!

2 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Love your landscape Jo. Also a great sketch and good use of your time while waiting. I too am trying to fill a sketchbook before the end of the year. Going now to check out your link. Have a delightful weekend. Hugs!

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, thank you so much. My friend Sue got me sketching and it has kept me going since I haven't been painting so much. Hope your weekend is great, too. It will be a hot sunny one here.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)