Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, June 11, 2021

Hour Flower Pastel Sketch

Don't you just love pastels and lots of color?  I'm still not in a great painting zone but the pastels called to be used for a sketch.  The Scavenger Hunt called for a flower.  We have a hanging geranium on the porch that is blooming very nicely.  Not sure how, I usually let them die.  So I brought in a couple of blooms that were almost past their prime.


 Scavenger Hunt 682 https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-682-june-11-june-19/

Number 1, flower - geranium 8 x 10 on recycled MiTeintes paper (it was a hollyhock in the papers last life), pastels in a bit less than an hour.

The little pitcher is one that was my mother's.  It burned in the fire and is not very white but cute for the flowers.  It also doesn't shine like porcelain should because the glaze is gone.  Very good memories attached to it so a happy sketch.


Canson MiTeintes paper is one of the least expensive pastel paper for practicing.  It comes in many colors and is double sided.  It probably wasn't meant to be double sided but the "front" has a grid on it and the back is smoother.  It doesn't hold many layers.  For practice and sketching it is great.  I have even wet the paper for an under painting.  The paper did wrinkle but flattened out after it was dry and more pastel was added.

Many artists prefer to use the paper for portraits.  You make more purposeful strokes when you aren't able to layer on the pastel thickly.  I like using this paper.


6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

lovely looking flowers 😀
I use to use MiTeintes a lot for coloured pencils on the smoother side, the only downside to using it for something 'good' is the paper colour can fade

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you. :-) I remember that the paper can fade, With pastels I usually cover the whole page so I don't have to worry.

Debbie Nolan said...

Jo this is beautiful. I have used this paper too. I am a novice with pastels but love the vibrancy you get with them. Have a lovely day. Thanks for stopping to visit me

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Debbie, I like the paper a lot. I do paintings on Pastelbord for easy framing like at a paint out or something.
Have fun!

Bag Blog said...

I love the red geraniums. My favorite to grow, because I don't do well with flowers and they seem to last the longest.

Jo Castillo said...

. Bag blog I like geraniums too. In Bolivia the houses all had walls and the gardeners would attach the flowers to the walls and up the sides of the houses. The walls had wall to wall flowers. Beautiful and bloomed all year round.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)