Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, April 03, 2021

Red and Blue and Blues

It is a day for the blues.  It is dark and cloudy with lots of thunder and only a 15% chance of rain.  It looks like we will have rain any minute but has been that way all morning.  Perfect day to sketch blue for the blues and show my little bluebonnets.

First the sketch for today's Scavenger Hunt.

I'm still working on the big coffee table sketchbook.  May finish in 4 or 5 months!

For Scavenger Hunt 673  https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-673-mar-31-apr-8/page/2/

Number 2, red - the huge Honey Crisp apple and Number 3, blue - cup.  The cup is big, a 12-14 ounce mug.  I did not quite get the apple big enough, it was just sitting on the cups edge.  Anyway, you get the idea.  I sketched with a Micron 02 and added colored pencil.

I do not have any dark navy or indigo colored pencil.  The next time I try for dark blue I will try putting a light layer of black underneath.  That works in pastels.  Coloring with the pencils took over an hour.  I could have finished in 15 or 20 minutes with pastels.  Of course the big book white paper will not work for watercolor or pastels.  Even watercolor would have been faster.  

My little blues, or bluebonnets by the mailbox.  I thought we would have more this year because we left the plot to seed last year.  Not to be.



 

There are only 12 blooming including the one in the lower right of the second photo that only has the white top so far.  There don't seem to be as many wildflowers period, but maybe that is just me.  Too dry?  Too cold?  Too hot??

My little flags warning the mowers not to cut them are bigger than the flowers.  

If you are in Bastrop, remember Art After Dark this evening at the Art Center.  Ah, that is when the rain will come, right??

Art After Dark
Lost Pines Art Center, Saturday, April 3, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., BYOB
1204 Chestnut Street
Bastrop, TX 78602
It should be fun with banjo music by Helen Lee Hoffman.

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Great job on the apple in the mug. I like that you can see the glaze of blue on the mug. Pretty bluebonnets. Too bad you don't have more...that would be nice. Glad you are protecting them.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks for stopping by. The bluebonnets are so pretty, we need to drive to the other side of Austin and see how they are. There used to be acres of them in pastures. Colored pencil makes me nuts!

Bag Blog said...

I have several paintings that my mom did back in the 60's. One of them is of apples in a little bowl. It always bothered me that the apples look like they were packed down into the bowl. Yours does not look like that. On our way out to Lubbock last week, we saw lots of bluebonnets. Toby asked me if I were an expert on bluebonnets. I said yes and then sang "Everythings better with Bluebonnet on it."

Jo Castillo said...

Ha, Bag Blog! That is my kind of Bluebonnet as well. Mmmm, mmm, good. I love painting apples and this one was so big, it could have sat up a little higher. Nice you have paintings that your mom did. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)