Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, February 13, 2021

What to Sketch

What should I sketch today?  I am usually conflicted about sketching.  Should it be spontaneous, practice, a chore, relaxing, learning or fun?  Maybe a bit of all of those, right?

  • Of course spontaneous is the last one that happens to me.  Rarely do I just sit and sketch with no incentive or suggestion.  I have the old lazy procrastinator in me.
  • Practice is what I say that I do almost daily.  But if my mind isn't into it, are my fingers practicing or just going by rote?
  • Chore, hmmm, sometimes all my art seems like a chore.  Maybe I feel a bit guilty when I skip a day or two (or longer) so I make it into a chore to get started again.
  • Relaxing is another idea that I'm not sure of.  I usually have a  goal, like the items on the Scavenger Hunts, which is also sort of a deadline.  I'm not sure if it is relaxing to be working on a time limit.
  • Learning is always one of the goals.  I seem to learn more when I am focused or when I try new materials.  Trying new things can also bring the fun back into sketching or painting.

As for the fun part, I find that I have more fun when I am painting with someone else.  Which brings me back to the question:  Do I like painting/sketching more than I like talking or vice versa?

So, what to sketch?  Yesterday I felt the "chore" of painting or sketching for the Southwest Challenge on wetcanvas.  The photos are up for a month and I had not sketched or painted for February.  I decided to sketch in the big coffee table sketchbook.  I'm getting near the end and will be happy/sad when the sketchbook is finished.  It will be a nice gift back to Jennie, but there will be a vacancy in my "chores" without that book being around.

Yesterday's sketch from a photo provided by Teana, slyfox75, in the Southwest Western Forum on wetcanvas.  It is in the big coffee table book done with Prismacolor fine line marker/pens.  I like the photo and may try to do it in color .. watercolors would be good for capturing the old rusty metal.

Old Pickup - Not All There

*** ** *** ** ***

And on another note, we are pretty much housebound until late Tuesday.  One of the reasons for moving here was that we could play golf almost every day.    Texas is competing with Wisconsin and Minnesota this week for cold temperatures.  Well, probably not, but it is darn cold for us.  We woke up yesterday to something like 32 degrees with freezing drizzle. The weather people are predicting more snow.   We have ice on the trees.  Temperature today is about 27 degrees so far.  Yesterday they said we might go below zero, but now they are saying a low of 8 degrees on Monday.  Still very, very cold.

UT Baseball starts on the 19th so that may be a reason for the cold.  We have sat through many games in the stadium with blankets, hats and gloves.  You may remember we had temps in the 80s just last week and we always think that the good weather will hold out for baseball ... not so much.  It is February after all.

 

 



2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

The old truck made a nice sketch. Watercolor would be really nice. It has been in the 20's here, but the wind makes it feel even colder - is that possible when it is already freezing?

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. One of these days I will do a watercolor of the truck. It is snowing again today. One of my Canadian friends does watercolor out in the cold and the water freezes and makes snowflakes on her painting. I prefer to just use salt or plastic wrap for texture. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)