Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, October 01, 2020

Sketching in the Portable Studio

Gene rode his trike this morning.  He called me to say there were some brilliantly colored chickens out by the road nearby.  I went to see and they were back away from the road by the time I got there.  I did deliver  a pill to Gene that he needed so it all worked out.  As I started back I saw this view with the Thin Blue Line  police flag, so I stopped and did a sketch in the car, portable studio, as Joan Tavolott calls it.  

For Scavenger Hunt 650  https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-650-sept-28-oct-06/

 

Number 2, natural - the forest and plants
Number 3, tall - the utility pole

The sketch is in a travel size sketchbook, 7 x 9 inches.  I used a Micron 02 that is on its last leg and finished here with a couple of Zig 05s in red and blue.  I didn't take a photo and did the color at home.  I just looked at the Thin Blue Line Flag and I did the color wrong.  The stripes are black with the middle stripe in blue.  The background for the stars is blue so that is OK.  I should have looked before I did the coloring.  I did not mean to be disrespectful to the flag. Sorry.

I talked with the people walking.  She is an artist, too.  Maybe I have found a nearby artist to sketch and paint with.  Nice.

***  **  ***  **  ***  **  ***

 FASO has a great post today by Keith Bond. http://keithbond.com/   about Art is a Business.  Great advise for you if you want to paint full time and make a living at it.

The post is here:
https://fineartviews.com/blog/134528/art-is-a-business

I have treated my art as a business for many years now.  When I was younger and had my gallery downtown I used most of these ideas.  I didn't have social media, only my website and blog.  I have tried to have it all tied together.  Even though I'm not painting as much and abandoned the social media mess, I still try to use the best equipment I can afford and do the work to be professional.


The new IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies) juried exposition is available to see online.  Beautiful pastel paintings.

http://www.iapspastel.org/exiaps_current.php

 

 


7 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Jo this is a neat sketch. I like that you did the flag in blue. It adds a special touch to this street scene. Hope you are having a good week. Hugs!

Joan Tavolott said...

Glad you were able to make use of your mobile studio. Nice sketch looking down the street. Is the Thin Blue Flag symbolic of something? I've never see one.

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, thank you so much. I sometimes put a touch of red in black and white sketches, or always did in formal drawings. I like a touch of color.

Joan, thank you. I like thinking of the car as a mobile studio. Don't use it nearly as much as you do.
The Thin Blue Line Flag is a flag for the police. I read about it years ago as a sign of solidarity with the police and heard stories about it. I just looked it up and now some folks think of it as a bad sign ... but some folks think our regular USA Flag shouldn't be shown either. I've been around police all my life and think of it as a proud flag in my world. :-)

Joanna said...

Some of those paintings are amazing!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joanna. I was impressed with most. There are always some I wonder about, they must touch the judge/judges someway.

Bag Blog said...

It made me smile when you said you had talked with the walkers and she was an artist - maybe someone to paint with. You are so good to paint with people and support us artists. I think I am missing you lots these days.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, you made my day. I'm missing you a lot, too. Maybe when we get back and vote we can come see you. We need to play in the dust and watercolor.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)