Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, August 06, 2020

No Hard-boiled Eggs Sketch

I am not a fan of hard-boiled eggs.  When I was a kid I had to clean the chicken pen which did not endear me to eggs or chickens.  Besides that, the Easter egg hunts at school were awful.  There were not many lawns or green grass around Magdalena. 

The school had us bring a couple of dyed hard-boiled eggs each and took us to Tank Hill or near the Cemetery for egg hunts.  There were no plastic or chocolate eggs and the teachers or custodians hid the eggs out in the cactus, dried grass clumps, sage brush, weeds and rocks.  Spring is typically the dust season with sand and tiny rocks flying and tumble weeds tumbling. They would send us out to find the eggs.  The boys would throw them at each other and by the time we sat down to eat our treasures,  my eggs would be cracked and full of dirt.  We were expected to eat them and of course had no salt or any way to clean up before we started.  I tried not to find any but the teachers would "make" us eat one.  (They couldn't get away with that now.) Yuck.  I did not like Easter egg hunts!  I'm not sure how much of the eggs I tried to eat, but I still see them when I'm confronted with hard-boiled eggs.  Get a gritty feel in my mouth.

Gene loves eggs and probably would have eaten mine for me, but at that age he probably just threw his eggs at me.  You know I've known him forever and married him to get even.

Painting and sketching eggs is more interesting and fun.  (One time when I don't eat the models.)  Painting white is challenging.   Pure white is seldom used and if you look closely at white you see colors reflected and absorbed.

I made egg sandwiches for breakfast yesterday.  I can eat eggs when they are not alone and staring at me.  For my sketch I was going to open a raw egg and sketch that but I forgot and cooked the eggs and didn't want to open another.  Joan Tavolott (see sidebar) had sketched almost the same set up but on white, so I decided to put mine on a blue plate with reflections.

In the big sketchbook with Micron 02 and colored pencils for Scavenger Hunt 643.

Even if the egg sketch is not the best, it is an enjoyable egg for me.  I just checked and I posted about the awful Easter egg hunts before, sorry to beleaguer you with this.  :-)


5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I'm not really fond of the chickens or their coop. I do love their eggs, though. The good thing about having older folk follow your blog, we can't remember what we have read in the past. If you wrote about the egg hunts before, it is just a vague memory now. I've been reading lots of books that I read several years ago.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, so true on the memory situation. I told Gene that sometimes it is good not to remember. We've been watching lots of repeats on TV, too. We watched Lincoln Lawyer the other afternoon and now Gene is re-reading the book. I may have to as well. :-)

Joanna said...

I'm not much of a fan of eggs either. I must get that from you, Mom.

Joanna said...

I like the sketch, though!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, so sorry about the eggs. (evil grin) Thank you on the sketch. Those plates with all the ellipses on the edges are hard to sketch.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)