Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Old Number 7 and Pastel Sketch

The July monthly challenge on the Southwest and Western Forum on wetcanvas is well underway.  I needed to get something done before the month slips away.  One of the artists post several images of animals, cowboys, farms, cactus, etc.  I picked a cow to sketch, are you surprised?

The cow has a number 7 in her markings and on the tag on the ear.  Jenna posted the photos and says the two sevens are a coincidence.  It made me smile to see this.

Old Number 7, this is a full page in the coffee table sketchbook with a Micron 02.

Pastels caught my interest for Scavenger Hunt 641 also on wetcanvas.  I picked this red glass for a wine glass.  Tea cup was on the list, I found this coffee cup and saucer to substitute.  It made it through the fire and has damage to the finish and inside.  Bird was another item and I found this little quail that made it through the fire as well.

I worked on a new piece UArt 400 grade sanded paper, 9 x 12 inches.  Yesterday I spent over an hour on this and another hour or so this morning.  It is supposed to be a sketch -- quick, right?  I kept changing ellipses and lines and finally said enough is enough.  Not really a finished painting but done for a sketch.

You read that right, it is a new piece of paper but will surely be reused for other sketches.  We have a photo, right?


6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Oh, that red wine glass is so bright and sets off the color of the bird too! Nicely done!!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. I do like red and blue, maybe I'll fix the saucer today... or not. Ha.

Bag Blog said...

You know your cows! What cowgirl wouldn't? I like the sketch and the pastel time is important. I'm needing some pastel time since all this watercolor this month.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, yep, I like those cows. It is good to play in the dust with the pastels. I've just not been able to get going on anything. Sigh... One of these days it will all click and come together.

Joanna said...

Old Number 7 is great!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joanna. Bet Mom would have approved!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)