Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Cleaning My Studio to a Postcard

Where to start today?  I painted a watercolor postcard for a friend in Magdalena.  I also sent a card to Gene's sister.  What about my sister?  Hmmm.

It all started from a blog post I read this morning and a tutoring video I watched.  The blog post was by John Weiss.  You know I follow his blog.  He is a retired policeman and a great cartoonist, painter and writer.  His blog post, A Creative Guide to the New You,  was about making your life/painting interesting again.  Very good.

https://johnpweiss.com/blog/157470/a-creative-guide-to-the-new-you

I was also reading my email from yesterday because I took the day off from the computer.  I've been doing that more lately, haven't I?  So I watched this video.   I have been following ArtTutor for a few years, too.  There are some posts for sketching with watercolors.  He is on #3 this week.  Good ideas for using watercolor and ink, inspiring my postcard ... maybe.  The link goes to the previous two lessons and several yet to come. 

https://www.arttutor.com/sketch-3-doorway

After reading the John Weiss post, I thought why not get started by straightening my studio.  It is a mess and I use that for an excuse not to paint or draw.  I decided to start on my desk because I use it everyday.  The procrastinator in me said to start small.

The first thing I did was put away our income tax papers, worked on taxes about 3 weeks ago, we already got our refund.  Not really a refund, our over-payment, back.  Then a pile of cards some blank that I had out.  Oh, how nice, a card from my friend, Ann, in Magdalena.  I should send her a card.  Did that.

Then I saw some magnets and decided to send one to Gene's sister.  Her husband died recently.  They were married 65 years or so.  Another card, but one from the pile I had on my desk.

Done and in the mailbox.  Better do my blog while I'm thinking about it and working on the computer.  Do you see a pattern here?  A couple of hours into my cleaning and I got the tax papers put away.  Ah, well, that's the way I do things.


The postcard, Magdalena Blossoms.  Watercolor , 6 x 4 inches.

I thought I could use it for the Scavenger Hunt ... wait, no it is from a photo and memory, not from life.  Will have to sketch for that later. 

Let's see if I get back to the start of my studio time and finish clearing my desk.........  I'll be truthful and let you know.

5 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Love the flowers!!! Enjoyed the ArtTutor video. Will have to check back with him. Thanks for sharing.

Bag Blog said...

Gosh! We are such sisters. My studio space is a mess, but I get sidetracked every time I go in there. I usually just clear a little space for whatever I'm doing and keep on going. I need to do better. I love your little watercolor. You are doing great with that medium.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. I'm getting more relaxed with the watercolors. I like the ArtTutor, lots of good info on that site.

Bag Blog, sister, ain't that the truth? Exactly what I do. At this point there is no way to clear a spot so I have to do something. Then I could try a bigger watercolor! Have you been following Joanna's T-shirts on Instagram? She had one the other day that said, "Dang!" Thought of you right away. :-)

Bag Blog said...

Joanna sent me a picture, which was funny. I do like the use of Dang!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, we say "dang" a lot now and I always think of you. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)