Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Rug Hunting Sketch

Rug was an item on the list for Scavenger Hunt 627
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479174

I have sketched the living room rug before.  It is my most handy rug where I can sketch in my chair and use the ottoman for a table.  For a new rug I thought of the old Navajo rug that covers Gene's wooden rocking chair.  It is made from red, white, black and turquoise wool.  I didn't want to sketch all of the chair so the rug is sort of floating.  Maybe it is magical and bringing back some good memories of the "old days" in Magdalena where we grew up.

Number 1, rug, Micron 02 in the coffee table sketchbook.

And a memory from the "old days" in Magdalena.

Papalote (Windmill)
Pastel on Colourfix paper. 9.5 x 15 inches. 
In private collection in Magdalena, New Mexico.

Not many windmills now, water is pumped out with electric pumps.  When we were growing up and out working cattle we would drink water right out of the tanks.  I think that built up our antibodies.  In South America we seldom had any stomach problems and I really believe that is why.  New Mexico chile keeps the stomach well, too.

Hope you are all doing well in this sheltering in place time.  We have not been doing much.  We try to go out for a walk or Gene rides his outside trike and I ride the inside bike.  We are staying as healthy as we can.  Left over pot roast for today.  We will have to venture out for groceries one of these days.......

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Bill and Bonnie Hearne used to sing a song called Navajo Rug. It was fun. You could probably Google it up.

I love the Magdalena painting - one of my favorites. I was thinking the other day how we used to drink out of the river in Red River. Probably why I'm so tough :)

Toby may take Thursday off ('cause he wants to) so we can go to Sam's and the grocery store in Wichita Falls at the crack of dawn with the other seniors. Yay!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, couldn't find the song by Bill and Bonnie but listened by Jerry Jeff Walker. Fun!

Thank you on the painting, they always say to paint what you love.

Good luck on your shopping. We have avoided for about two weeks but are going to have to go soon. Gene's brother Roger said he went this morning early and slipped in with the old folks. He is the youngest boy and is turning 70 in April. Yikes we are old, always thought of him as the baby in the family. Sigh...

Joan Tavolott said...

I like that you sketched only part of the rug. I did that the last time too. Love the pastel...what a beautiful view and so textural!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. Someone commented on wetcanvas that I often let my sketches fade off, so I looked and I do that. Hmmm.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)