Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, September 02, 2019

Digital Red

Red and transparent caught my eye on Scavenger Hunt 601.  Apple immediately came to mind and luckily Gene had a couple on the counter.  When I thought transparent I thought of glass.  Convenient!

Number 1, Something red
Number 2, Something clear/transparent

This took at least an hour.  I'm not sure why it takes me longer to sketch on my iPad or iPhone or the computer.  Maybe there are choices to make as you go - about the type of brush and the colors.  I try not to use the "undo" feature very much.  You can see my glass is a bit lopsided.  It would take even longer to sketch if I used the "undo" more, but it could be more accurate.

After we did PT, I sat on the porch and listened to a book for a while.  Gene rode his trike.  The chipmunks are everywhere and so much fun to watch.  They scurry all around.

This one was my morning companion.  He was eating some grass but finished before I got the camera ready.

The asters are beautiful right now.  Fantastic color.  When we first arrived they were more a pale blue and hard to notice.  There are some purple thistles across the road but something must eat the buds as I haven't been able to get a photo.  They are a similar color to the asters.

And before I forget, here is Gene adjusting his computer as he went on his Catrike ride when we had the umbrella on it.  It works very well.


My cousins arrive tomorrow for a couple of days.  It was going to be five and now will probably just be two.  We bought food for all and we leave next Tuesday.  We need to eat and cook here at the house.  We bought a huge brisket so cooked the small end day before yesterday.  I didn't want to use the same recipe that we plan for Thursday,  so cooked it with red chile.  It is  like carne adovada or adobada as some say.  It came out very good.  We will pretty much finish that off this evening.

I will miss eating out and not cooking.  There are not as many places to eat this year.  I will also miss the margaritas at Zebs.  The Country Club Bar make them from scratch, too, if you ask.  I prefer them made with simple syrup and real limes/lemons and not the sweet and sour mix.  Gene makes the best.

So the time here is winding down.  Good and bad.  I'm ready to be "home".  It will still be pretty hot there, but we don't have to work out in the heat.  Lucky us.  Of course we have some traveling and visiting to do before we go back.  I think I mentioned that Joanna is coming to drive back with us.  Yay!



6 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Enjoy your cousins and the brisket! Hope the drive back goes well and you have fun with Joanna.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Rose. Gene does cook a mean brisket. Never dry. Looking forward to being with Joanna. She is always so busy at home. Take care, hugs....

hmuxo said...

Wow...beautiful sketch, Jo. You aced the transparency of the glass. I've tried but I find it difficult. The apple inside the glass was very nice.

Jo Castillo said...

hmuxo, thanks. I worked on it so long the light and reflections kept changing and I don't like to work from photos you know. Anyway a teacher told me years ago that you don't think about it being glass, you just paint the lights and darks like it was a solid jug or something. Hope that helps you, too.

Jennifer Rose said...

don't think I've ever had brisket, not very common here at least and no one cooked it in Canada

Digital can take a bit longer than traditional because our hands and eyes are not use to working together digitally. thats part of it but its just a different way to work so if not done almost everyday our brains go nope not happening :p its practice as with everything to do with art

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, the brisket most are familiar with is as corned beef. Gene cooks fresh brisket on the grill and it is moist, tender and delicious.
Yep, digital is hard when you dont use it. Also, each app is different.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)