Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Hunt 599 Continues

I sketched outside yesterday.  I sound like a broken record when I say that it was a beautiful day.  That saying is too old,  broken records aren't around much anymore.  Anyway, I sat in a camp chair and sketched in the travel sketchbook, a Canson Multi Media, 7 x 10 inches, with a Zig 05 pen.

Number 5, step - the step is a large flat piece of sandstone.  There are two little chainsaw carved bears one with the welcome sign and one hanging on one of the log pillars.  Cute.

Number 6, watermelon - in the Canson Watercolor sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches. 

I used watercolors from the tube and brushes instead of the small travel kit with the brushes that hold their own water.  It didn't help much.  I need to get out my color chart I made with Pomona in class so that my colors are mixed the same and also make up more to start with to have plenty and not have to mix more. 

Again, good painting and sketching requires dedication and practice.  I'm telling myself to get with it....

Sue is going to take a class with Anni Crouter in Michigan.  Her watercolors are absolutely amazing.  My son says she must live in watercolors.  Here is a link to her animals, for me the horses, but look around at the other paintings ... wow!   http://www.annicrouter.com/domestic%20animals.html

***  ***  ***

We went to Taos yesterday for Gene's physical therapy.  Stopped in at Yu Garden to have some good Volcano Shrimp and see Amanda.  She wasn't there again.  She is in Albuquerque opening a new restaurant near the University of New Mexico.  Maybe we can see her when we go through Albuquerque.  Her place in Albuquerque will be Yu Eat.

We  bought a few groceries in Taos.  Some things are cheaper there and fresher by a little bit.  I picked up a watermelon without even thinking it was on the list.  Subconscious I guess.


Houses like this adorn the walls of the canyon between Angel Fire and Taos.  It is 23 miles and takes about 40 minutes because of the curves.  It must be scary in the wintertime. 
Here is a little time lapse video as we neared and got into Taos.
https://youtu.be/z9qA_DRBHQg


As you near Taos, the sides of the canyon go from pine trees to cedar and rocks.

In Taos, the buildings are mostly pueblo style and the landscaping is local plants that don't require much water.



6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

records are a thing still due to hipsters thinking the sound is better (its not) so the phrase still works :)

Joan Tavolott said...

Saw the video. If you drive that fast it must be a scary ride. lol Those watercolors are so realistic!!! Wow!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. Yep, fast driving can be scary. We are pretty experienced in the mountains and dirt roads so always watching the "other guy". Anni is amazing...

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, so true. Joanna still has some of our old records, 78s and 45s. One day she will get them transferred to her computer. :-)

Joanna said...

I’ve been buying vinyl lately as a way to support the musicians. Most of the records from your collection are regular LPs, Mom I don’t think any of them are 78s. I don’t know if I’ll ever get them converted to digital. There never seems to be enough time to attack any of my projects! :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, I did misspeak didn't I? I thought there were some 78s in there. We did have some of course. Nice that you are getting some records. Fun!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)