Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Southwest Challenge Watercolor

I like to paint/sketch something for the Southwest Challenge http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462356 on wetcanvas.com to support and get together (virtually) with like minded artists.  It is painting from photos, which as you know is not my favorite way to paint.  I chose a photo from those submitted by Jenna.

A New Mexico scene, 9 x 12 inches, watercolor.

I am still trying to figure out watercolor.  The big tree started out as two trees and looked very much like a lilac bush or something.  It is somewhat better now and closer to the bushy cedar trees in the photo.

I got together in real life with artists at the Lost Pines Art Center.  They are trying to get the artists to work together on the first Monday of the month to get acquainted.   The membership is so large.  Not very successful yet.  Jeanette and I were the only ones painting.  We did visit with quite a few more.  I will go again when I can.  It is good to get out and about and practice some painting.

Jeanette was painting in pastel, a beginner in that medium.  I helped her and so didn't finish my watercolor.  I finished it today.  At least as much as I want to.  I can't wipe it off and use the paper again like pastels but I can turn it over and use the other side.   It is good watercolor paper so I could add pastels on top if I wanted.  No, I'll try another watercolor on the back.



4 comments:

hmuxo said...

I have been looking at a lot of paintings started in watercolors and finished in pastels. I would never have thought you can do this.
This watercolor is beautifully painted Jo. I love the colors... New Mexico is absolutely beautiful...
Have a wonderful day!!

Jo Castillo said...

hmuxo, Thanks. Watercolor takes patience which I lack. I do use watercolor for an under painting quite often with my pastels. It can be a complementary color or similar to the one you intend to use. You won't need as much pastel to cover, let the watercolor show through. It can be used for texture. See some of Richard McKinley's pastel landscapes. Fun!

Bag Blog said...

One of the ladies at the Dale Martin workshop had tried watercolor and did not like it. So she switched to pastels. She did not want to waste her watercolor paper so she bought the grit stuff to paint on to her paper. She thought it was good. (shrug shoulders). Seemed like lots of work to me.

I like your little watercolor. It is sketchy and fun.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I like that use of watercolor paper! It will take a few layers of pastel without the grit. I've made my own surfaces and it gives texture, can look like brush strokes. I'm lazy though and like my sanded surfaces ready to go! Thanks on the watercolor, I sure wanted to wipe off the big tree. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (131) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (980) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)