Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, December 10, 2018

Clothes peg?? Clothes pin??

I've always enjoyed trying to figure out the English language.  It must be super hard for English as a second language to learn.  A simple example today.  Our Scavenger Hunt list was prepared by EP in British Columbia, Canada.  One of the items is clothespeg.  Ah, clothes pin, I thought.  Just think of the problems if you are just learning.

Spelling is so difficult.  In Spanish the vowels always have the same sound.  In English an "a" can have multiple sounds, long short, etc.  Then it can be combined with an e and have many more sounds.   On top of that we have so many meanings that are sort of weird:

  • a driveway is to park your cars, a parkway is for driving
  • you should read a book now but I read one yesterday

Here is a list to think about http://funnytab.net/ponder 
I like the first one.

Maybe this is better about plurals https://guyaneseonline.net/2013/04/01/english-is-a-crazy-language-funny/
  • mouse and mice
And just in English to English
  • apartment and flat
  • trunk (of a car) and boot
  • sweater and jumper
  • elevator and lift
and so on...

So here we go for Scavenger Hunt 567  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21497740

Number 7, clothespeg with Micron 01 - I was watching TV and sketching.  Not good for concentration on the lines.  I tried to cover my mistakes with hatching since the sketch is in the coffee table book. 

Here are a couple of photos of the Smithville gingerbread men at night.  My photos are about as good as my sketches, right?









6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

And we line up while in England they que up. Language, especially ours is very strange. Glad to see your sketches for the hunt. Maybe sometime soon I will get back to it. My last show is over, but I have a project I'm almost finished with...but still Christmas shopping, decorating, and baking to do!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, line/que, I forgot that one! You have been so busy painting, the Hunts will still be there when you catch up! Your military project is inspiring. Don't forget to stop and have a glass of wine......cheers!

Jennifer Rose said...

add in Scots words for things and it gets even more difficult :p

the gingerbread men are looking like they are lined up to attack ;)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, guess that would be tough, I know nothing about Scottish words. The gingerbread men do look to be on the attack. Ha, ha.

Bag Blog said...

I was playing Pictionary with friends years ago. I drew "towel rack". Not difficult for an artist. But my partner said, "towel rod." So I drew all sorts of stuff trying to get her to say "towel rack" but she continued to say "towel rod." When our time ran out and I told her it was "towel rack" she acted like I was crazy and "towel rod" was correct. Of course, that same friend made an apple pie and left the peal on the apples. She said that was the way everyone did it.


Then there was the time Toby was in Scotland. He was staying in an industrial part of town where there were no good places to eat. He told the ladies in the office that he was losing so much weight that he was going to have to get suspenders to hold his pants up. He said those ladies laughed until they had tears in their eyes. He didn't know what was so funny. Then they told him that in in Scotland suspenders were like our garters and pants were underwear - like our panties.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, too funny. Love the peals in the apple pie. I knew people used suspenders for their socks, but didn't think of under pants. Ha. Thanks for the smiles.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)