Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Hunting is Difficult

The Scavenger Hunts are getting harder for me.  Mainly because I feel I have sketched everything in our house at least once.  Some more often.  I guess for variety I am going to have to use different media.  The problem with that is that I can't put it in the big book and it looks like the big book isn't half full yet, it is taking forever.  Choices, choices.

For Scavenger Hunt 560
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455175

Number 5, bulletin board type - I used the rain gutter shelves above my computer.  I have lots of stuff there, paintings, cards, toys, photos, notes, a $2 bill ??, etc.  My bulletin board of sorts.

Number 6, hanging on the wall - stuff

Speaking of choices, I was looking over Jennifer Rose's blog this morning. https://plus.google.com/103875235243683912364   I usually just comment on her sketches and 3-D drawings/sculptures.  She has a post on Wednesdays called, Wordless Wednesday.  A recent post had some orange flowers in one photo and some fushia flowers in the other.  I was immediately drawn to the pink/redder photo.  Why is that?  What causes our preferences in color?

The only time I recall sort of studying that was years ago there was a fad going about what colors you should wear depending on what "season" you fall into.  I'm a winter.  Winter people wear pure red leaning toward purple. Other colors were navy, white, black.  Fits with me.   Fall folks wear orange and brown.  I was happy not to be a fall person.  Ha.  This blog explains that faze.  Evidently it is still going on:  https://www.colormepretty.co/categories-2/4-season-color-analysis/

How do you feel about your color season?  What is your favorite color?  Red is usually my pick.  I used to go with blue, but not all colors of blue.  I feel drab when I wear powder blue.  I like turquoise and teal.  Navy.  Most purples.

My most un-favorite colors are brown, orange and yellow.  I don't mind wearing a dark chocolate brown  but anything lighter is taboo, especially beige!  Brown for the Hunts has to be wood, very little brown items otherwise in our house.   When we have yellow on the Hunt list there are so few yellow things around here.  Yellow is usually a cleaning cloth or tool with a yellow handle or case.  Orange is hard except for the fruit and the burnt orange of the Texas Longhorns.  I wear orange for the baseball games but that is it!

I'm pretty sure these colors show in my paintings as well.  I rarely get excited about painting a fall scene.  When I do, things lean toward the reds of fall.  I color on my phone and iPad with an app called Pigment.  I was looking at the ones I have colored and there are few with brown.  They suggest a palette  and when it is brown, I lean to the mauve/reddish colors.  It is a fun app by the way.  Good to while away the time and not think.  I click and fill.  You know how impatient I am to actually color, like with colored pencil.  The app has that option, not my favorite part, but you already know that.

No conclusions, just more questions......







2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

the flowers are nasturtiums :) grow all over if you let them lol

apparently I'm a winter *shrugs* never really paid too much attention to colours I wear, but I tend to pick a lot of greens and blues, maybe red if I'm going somewhere fancy lol

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, Thanks. I have a brown thumb. About the only flowers I can name are roses, daisies and geraniums. Oh, bluebonnets as they are the state flower. Mmmmm, red. Nice.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)