Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Flippin' My Lid

Well, sketching a lid.  We dined at Kyoto in Bastrop last night.  It is a fairly new oriental restaurant.  I have graduated to cooked sushi.  I'm liking that a lot with fresh ginger and wasabi.  However I just read that wasabi is very hard to grow and the real thing costs about $160 a kilo so we are probably eating horseradish with mustard and a bit of green dye.  Gene had some shrimp tempura which was very good as well.

While Gene was finishing his meal and we were having some jasmine tea, I got out my iPhone to sketch.  I keep forgetting my sketchbook.  I managed a very quick sketch with the app Brushes and my fingers.

The manager and waitress really liked that I was sketching.  The manager thought it was a photo when he first looked.  Fun.

Number 8, lid

And of course I didn't take a photo of the real thing.  Maybe next time.

Today we are off to La Grange.  Enid Wood (www.enidwood.com) is having a show at Art Connections.  From the Art Connections newsletter/email:  There are four thematic series within this show, all exploring colors and all executed in square format: abstracts, still life, floral, and landscape.  Hope you can get out there, they are having several events during the month.  Check the website for information:
http://www.artconnectionsgallery.com/events.html

After the art we will try to eat at Bistro 108  https://www.bistro108.com/  I should make reservations.  Don't like to commit..... just did make reservations.  They are so busy, you need to make an appointment!

Then some music with Ezra Charles, pianist,  at The Bugle Boy. http://thebugleboy.org/
That should be a fun show. 

Tomorrow will be a day of rest.

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

yeah to get real wasabi you pay an arm and a leg for it :/ havent had it, maybe find it if I go to the Asian market

really great digital pot :D

Joan Tavolott said...

You are really getting out quite a bit. Nice sketch of the teapot. Hope you enjoyed the show.

hmuxo said...

A lovely sketch of this teapot, Jo. I never bring a sketch book, but my camera goes with me everywhere!!!! Lol. I bought a small sketch pad and never take it with me! And of course regret it later on. A great practice.. Enjoy your day .....

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, I can't imagine it would be so much better to have the "real wasabi" but on the other hand, there is no chile with flavor as the chile from New Mexico. Hmmm. Thanks on the pot.

Joan, thank you. the background was supposed to be the tile counter, but it looks wavy instead of flat. :)

hmuxo, thank you. I'm so much better about sketching after Sue Modrak kept buying me sketchbooks and encouraging me to sketch everywhere.

Jennifer Rose said...

not sure if it would make a difference, if I ever get to Japan and can try some I will let you know :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, I will return the favor if we get to Japan as well. Ha. Thanks for all the comments, I'm loving your Inktober work.

Bag Blog said...

I love the tea pot. Speaking of lunch, Jesse has a goal of having lunch with someone every day (she is working from home now and gets lonely) and then posting a photo of the person. She was going to do a portrait a day, but that was too overwhelming. But, she has done some portraits. If you are not friends with her on Instagram, you might want to follow her and see her art stuff. She is so much more creative than me. I follow Joanna and get to see her music videos.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, Thanks. I saw that on facebook or instagram about Jesse. Love the idea. When we are in Angel Fire we eat out almost every day and you know Gene talks to everyone! We've slowed down a bit since coming home, but did go out to Guadalajara yesterday and saw some friends. Maybe a portrait a week or sketch a day. Wow.
Happy you are home. Hugs.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)