Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, February 23, 2018

Back to Hunt 531

Still at work on the coffee table sketchbook. Nothing exciting to report.  I am carrying on.

It is Scavenger Hunt 531 on wetcanvas.  Amazing that I have stuck with it.  I was never able to keep a diary or journal.  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442865

Sketching is good in so many ways.
  • A journal
  • Practice
  • A record
  • Basis for painting
  • Learning
  • Communicating
  • Structure and discipline
I'm sure there are more reasons to sketch.  It is fun to look back in the old sketchbooks and see where we were on our travels or things that have changed in our home and lives.

I hope you have a sketchbook or two in your world.  Thanks to Sue Modrak for really pushing me to sketch.  She gave me several sketchbooks.  I'm not sure any are filled, but there are many sketches in each one with a special meaning for each sketch.  Times when we were painting together and times when I just think of her and the good times we have when we can be together.  Come to think of it, I should make more "notes" with the sketches.

Number 5, coathanger - I sketched my hoodie on a chair when the Bastrop Sketchers were at the Art Center.  I did it too quickly and you couldn't tell it was a chair.  This is a do-over at home.

Number 6, a card or box of matches - I found these matches from the Hotel Cortez in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, a few months ago.  They must be from the early 90s.  http://www.hotelcortez.com/es/page/index.html  The hotel has grown since we were there!  I had sketches from there, but they are ashes now.  Fun to find the matches.

We had a collection of matches, but they are all gone up in smoke and not many places give out matches anymore.  I remember on airline flights passengers were given a pack of three cigarrettes and a book of matches.  Who knew??

Enough of a walk down memory lane for today.  More later.

P.S.  You can see some of my old Bolivia paintings here:
http://www.jocastilloart.com/boliviagallery.html






2 comments:

Lou Baggett said...

I took my little art girls to the museum here, because they had a display of journal and poetry books by Nathan Brown. He has been keeping journals since he was a kid. Not only did he write stories, but also poetry, and sketches. He also writes songs and sings. Although he is from OK, he now lives in Wimberly. I encourage my girls to sketch and journal.

Jo Castillo said...

Lou, good for you. Nathan Brown sounds great. I bet Susan Gibson knows him.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)