Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, October 20, 2017

Light Still Life Demo and Other Hints

Maybe if I talk about a still life, I will paint one.  I hope so. 

Still life painting is interesting.  It is much like painting outside, plein air, as you see things in real life, not in a photo.  It is good training for your eyes and how to see values and contrast.  A good deal of my training in still life came from watching Helen Van Wyk, oil painter, on television.  She always explained the "why" of painting.  Why do you tone your canvas?  Why do you use that brush or that color?  I learned a lot.

Anything you learn from a demo or lesson doesn't do any good if you don't try it.  I have been to many workshops and demos and a few students would say, "Oh, I don't like that or that is too hard, I'll just do it my way."  If that is the case, you should save your money and just paint your way.  I think the purpose of seeing someone else paint is to try their method and maybe you will like part of it or all of it.  Don't know until you try.  (I explained my goals when I take a workshop in this post
https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/workshop-finishes.html

Artists really need to practice, warm up and have fun.  Try something new.  It doesn't have to end up a masterpiece.  Use small scraps of paper, old canvas, cardboard......  One of the artists on wetcanvas paints on open cereal boxes to practice.  Calendars, paper sacks, even newspaper.  I wipe off pastels and us paper and Pastelbord over and over.

There are many ways to paint, having a high or low intensity, black or dark background, soft, rich, etc.  You can see some demos and read others on my Demo/Video page above.  You can put something in the search box above, too.  I have so many instruction posts that aren't marked as instruction.  Sorry.

Anyway, back to lighting.  Well more the painting light, than the lighting.  I did a demo/lesson on Turning on the Light here:
https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/review-of-pastel-class-december-9.html

One of the old adages is that you have to have dark to show light. So, light against dark and dark against light.

So for fun I decided to paint/sketch/practice  my old standby .. an apple still life.

The light was to come from my right.  I tried painting it with the light all on the right except for the shadow.  It is one way to do it.  But to make it more dramatic, I put the light coming from the right and hitting on the left.  In other words, it is darker where the light is coming from and lighter where the light hits .. except for the shadow.  See what you think....  I much prefer the dramatic system.

These two were done very quickly just for fun.




In both, the light is from the right.  I did not worry about composition, the apple was pretty much in the middle of the painting!  Not the best comp.

The paper is Canson MiTeintes half sheet from a pad,  making them  8 x 12 inches.

This is the one I like the best with the dark where the light is coming from and the lighter part is where the light is going.

Here is another photo showing the pastels I used.


If you have any questions or comments we can start a discussion of painting ideas.....


5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

practice is def the key, more people should just make art on anything end everything. not to make a master piece, but just to learn more :)

Joan Tavolott said...

I like the drama of the first one where it is dark where the light is coming from!!! WooHoo!

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, so true. It is very hard to get your mind in a carefree point sometimes. I managed today!

Joan, thanks so much! Fun practice.

hmuxo said...

The first one is definitely a winner, Jo! Thank you for such a wonderful post!!

Jo Castillo said...

hmuxo, you are most welcome. Thanks. Just practice. Should do that more often!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1801) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)