Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, November 07, 2016

Hunt 472 Ending and Pow Wow Photos

I sketched at the Austin Pow Wow.  Not much, I would rather watch.  My trusty Micron 03 was leaky so I sketched with a Pilot ballpoint pen.  The Pilot works well.  It usually doesn't make blobs like regular old ballpoints.

Number 9, something sketched in XX minutes or less.  Some 30 seconds to a minute gesture sketches at the Pow Wow.

Number 10, something in mixed media including watercolor - this was Pilot Pen with watercolor to start with and I added some black sharpie and some red pen marker strokes to brighten it up.


Number 11, something on your iPad Pro with the pencil -- don't have that yet, so used my old iPad and my fingers in Brushes.  An old fashioned fly swatter and a new battery operated fly swatter.

Number 12, abstract - sort of a cheat, I sketched a dancer from memory instead of live.  I was really doodling and thought it might work.  Could be all dancers?  I see lots of different things when I rotate it.

And some photos:

The Grand Entry

Presenting the colors.

Tiny Tots with judges to left.  All of the little ones get a prize.  The winners are announced at the end at night, so we didn't get to see the winners.

Tiny Tots again.  I like the fancy dancer in turquoise and black on the left.

An extra dance with the older, uh, senior ladies. (And Jennie's shoes for fun)

More senior ladies.

Senior men.
 
Teen fancy dancers!!  Fancy dancers get the most attention like the bull riders in a rodeo.  They have the fanciest costumes.


At some point, everyone dances, even the audience.
 
 
Team competition.



Teams lining up for judges.

The end of the team contest with one of the bands to the left.


Young teens.

Only a few in some of the categories.  We hadn't been for a few years.  It seems like there are fewer dancers.  It is a lot of work for one day.

Some of the guys.

It is hard to capture the movement without all blurs from far away.  

Teens as I recall.

A couple of times we went to the Pow Wow, we stayed all day.  Fun to see all the categories and dancers.  First there is the Grand Entry and presenting of the colors.  The morning starts with the Tiny Tots and goes through the age brackets.  They have a dinner break and another Grand Entry in the evening.  It can run overtime when they have a tie and have to have a dance off.  The night is exciting with the experienced dancers and the results for the day.  They have many vendors and lots of food, too.

*** *** ***** *** ***

As one of the last hired hand cowboys, my dad would have loved this video news story.  What a cowboy.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dsq_jZiB1_U

3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I saw that video on FB. Very cool!The Pow Wow looked fun too.

Joan Tavolott said...

Love all the photos. The problem with an event like that...you want to sketch but if you do you miss too much. lol Glad you did a few sketches. That one looks like a zentangle dancer.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, the video is neat. The Pow Wow is a lot of fun. I forgot to say the sound system this year was not good. They only had one microphone for the band so they could have it loud enough for the drums, then if they made it loud for the singers, the drums overrode the singers and was deafening. So we had to strain to hear the singers sometimes. I think it was hard for the dancers, too, as the drums calm down during the singing. Anyhoo, we had a good time.

Joan, I know about the sketching and missing something. So photos. I don't paint from them, I think the costumes/outfits are personal and may even have copyrights on them. So special to the dancers. My sketch is a made up costume with the stars. I'm pretty sure the symbols used on the outfits have special meanings and I could do them wrong. So I don't do them.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (205) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (971) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1790) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)