Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Sketches and Watercolor Practice

I sketched for Scavenger Hunt 416 http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385647 in the living room with my feet on a stool.  Nice and comfy.

Number 5, animal - the chipmunk on the wood box brought a friend.  The closest one just sat an posed for about 3 minutes.  The other one skittered and fidgeted.  Usually the regular guy (?) sits until I pick up a sketchpad, then takes off.
Number 6, bottle - the bottle is bright blue with white letters

I opened my art bin and pulled out a few things.  I found my watercolors and tried a couple of quick watercolors for practice.  I say quick, but waiting for paint to dry is not quick!  I could have used a hair dryer to speed things up.  I tried painting geraniums from my imagination.  I should have run them off the top edge to have a better composition, but was not trying for a painting.  I wanted to see how the colors I have would interact.  Different paint brands act differently they say.  I haven't used watercolors enough to know.  These are Holbein.

This is about 6 x 9 inches, half the page.  I also did some pine trees which I will not bother to post.

I added a bit of ink to the flowers and leaves.  I am trying some daisies today.  I used some frisket to save the white for the flowers.  The brand was Grafix.  It says to apply with their "incredible nib", which I didn't buy.  I have used frisket before and just used a brush, wetting it first and being careful to rinse it occasionally and not let the frisket dry because it will ruin the brush.  I had a cheap brush so thought that would work.  I wet it and dipped a couple of times and went to rinse it and it was already gloppy on the brush.  I am sooooo glad I did not use a good brush like I have in the past!  This stuff dried fast.  Not on the paper, though.  Ha.

We shall see how the daisies go today.




2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

lovely flowers :D I always use a cheap brush with fixative, or one of those rubber modeling tools, (I've seen them refereed to as pastel blenders too). too many ruined good brushes :(

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose. I have never had a problem before. Maybe I had a higher quality frisket. I bought the cheapest one! Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)