Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, July 06, 2015

Pastel Painting Sky and Windmill

I painted a new painting for Art Connections Gallery before we leave.  I enjoyed painting this landscape and I think my work always has a nicer feel when I have enjoyed the process and not worried about the results.  It is much easier to paint toward an idea that I like instead of copying a photo or painting something that has to be exact. 

For this painting I wanted a nice Texas sky and a windmill.  Windmills are a dying breed and we need to keep the memories.  We noticed traveling in New Mexico and Texas that many more electric pumps and solar pumps are showing up.  They may be more efficient but they don't tug at my heart strings.


 Cloudy in the West
Pastel on Pastelbord, 12 x 12 inches
$325

Cloudy in the West is framed in a plein air style dark frame, ready for hanging.  It is framed against museum glass.  Looks pretty nice!

You may recall that I painted some geraniums with Pan Pastels. http://www.jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2015/05/fall-on-your-face-and-pastel-painting.html   It started as a learning experience but I really like red and I ended up liking this little painting so much.  So I added some highlights with some soft pastel sticks and Gene put it in a frame for me.

Pan Geraniums
Pastel on Pastelbord, 7 x 5 inches
$115

I just love it!  It would look good on the wall or on an easel.  It is ready for either.

Both of these paintings will be available at Art Connections Gallery http://www.artconnectionsgallerybastrop.com/ after July 6.  Stop in when you can and see my work that is there.  Art Connections has such a variety of original art work:  jewelry, paintings, sculpture, glass, and much, much more.  You will definitely find something you like.   There is always an event going on with special incentives to start your collection.  10% of my sales benefit the Family Crisis Center with 10% of all sales going to various charities.

I will be back in Bastrop in the fall and in the meantime you can visit my art at Art Connections and visit me here on line.  Let's have a conversation while we travel!

9 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I like windmill paintings, too. I've counted windmills between here and NM many times, although I couldn't tell you how many we counted back in the day. It was usually a contest - I counted windmills on my side of the road and my brother counted the other side. Your windmill painting is very nice. I like the pinks in the sky. The geraniums are a favorite too - they are just so bright. The frame is nicely done. Tell Gene he done good.

Joan Tavolott said...

Beautiful paintings, Jo! I love that one with the Texas sky and the soft look to the windmill. Glad you are capturing a few of them while they are still around. Nice framing, Gene!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, we never played the windmill game. We played lots of "I see something green" and license plates, alphabet, etc. Thanks on the painting, I have a fondness and love the Spanish word, papalote. I like to paint red, apples and tomatoes, etc. Gene thanks you, too.

Joan, thank you so much. You have lighthouses and I get windmills. Ha.

Joanna said...

I like both paintings, Mom!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joanna. First time I painted just to paint in a while on that windmill. It was a windmill in my mind to get done!

Jennifer Rose said...

don't see many if any wind mills here and they were not that common in Alberta either and you would have thought they would have been with all the wind there

both paintings look very nice framed :D the red is very stunning. and very nice clouds, very soft looking :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, maybe there are enough lakes and streams that windmills are not as necessary. In the southwest most of the water is underground and needs pumping to the surface?? We had good times in Alberta....

Thanks on the paintings. Favorites always work!

Jennifer Rose said...

that might be why :) I did see a lot of very big irrigators spraying water on crops but never stopped to think where all the water came from :p

where were you in Alberta?

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose,

I don't really know either. Maybe the pumps and all were different because of the colder winters, too. Interesting.

We went through Alberta at least twice. We went from Toronto around the Great Lakes Across to Regina the first Canadian trip so didn't make it. Then we went to Regina to start to continue west and went to Edmonton and Lac la LiBiche as I recall and then heard there was a golf course in Yellow Knife so headed north. We would have stopped in every place that had a golf course in those days. Late 90's. We were in Saskatoon one of the trips so remember going to Edmonton and then into BC. Most of our photos then were regular photos so burned in our fire. Drat it all. We sure had good times. Love all the people. We golfed and I sketched a bit then, painted on later trips and Gene biked. Lovely memories. We have been from Nova Scotia to Vancouver Island, Yellow Knife and Dawson up north. Fun! By the time I started my blog we were staying in NM to be near Gene's mom. We have been back to BC once since I started posting. I did have the Nova Scotia journal on my old website, I might put it back up. Gene keeps a daily journal.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)