Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sketches for #371 and Photos

I was tempted to sketch on the porch this morning.  When we were in Angel Fire in past years, we always had our coffee on the deck or porch.  We must have been younger, because now, 50 degrees F is a bit cool, even with a hoodie on.  So I sketched indoors in the regular Canson sketchbook that is 5.5 x 8.5 inches with the Micron 05 pen, while I had my coffee and rice cake.

For Scavenger Hunt #371, http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358126
Number 4, box of cereal - I took all the cereal out of the boxes when I packed, so the only cereal in a container is some granola Gene bought in a bag.  I hadn't noticed, but it was made in Switzerland.  Interesting.
Number 5, hand soap

I'm hosting this Hunt.  Come on over and sketch or if your painting fits the list and it is from life, show it!

A few more photos for you from our walks.

 I haven't mentioned the aspens much.  They are so pretty and make a lovely sound in the wind.  Guess these are Quaking Aspen.


 The clouds in the afternoon were so menacing.  It was cloudy above and behind the big thunderclouds so no bright white like usual.  It doesn't show too well in the photo, you will have to take my word for it.


Some rocks across the street.  I might paint something here.  The middle rock looks sort of like a llama head.  If I paint it that way and you see that, it will make the painting be weird as then all you see is the head and not the pretty scene.  Did I ruin the scene for you?  Ha.

Artists have to watch all those things that can make a painting feel uneasy.  Faces in clouds or rocks.  Tangents like where a horizon line touches a rim of a hat, "kisses".  When that happens it is confusing.  It makes it look like the hat and horizon are on the same plane and messes up our depth perception.  Something like that can really "upset" a good painting.

In a still life painting when you are painting fruit for example and are trying to show distance and the edges just touch (kiss), you loose the distance.  They have to be on a different plane (level) and overlap to show distance.



I won't be putting the llama head in my painting!



2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Those aspens might make a good painting, too.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Bag Blog. I have painted some aspens. Time to paint more!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)