Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Sketching from Photos

It is good practice to sketch from photos.  You can sketch without thinking about composition and where the light is coming from.  You can concentrate on your drawing.  It is a bit different to copy in color with pastels or paint as you have to decide on how to get the colors in the photo or painting.

I have been sketching from life for the Scavenger Hunts and it is not as interesting to me personally, even though I can see advantages for practice to sketch from photos.



I sketched from Jenna's  photo on wetcanvas.com in the Southwest and Western Art Forum.  This is in the Quick Draw (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349842) for May, June and July.  There aren't many sketches in it the thread, but there are some great photos to sketch from.  I suppose this time of year artists are out working in their yards and painting plein air.  You are supposed to sketch something from the photos or any objects fitting the theme of the thread.  Jenna put up photos she took and I liked the cowbirds.  This is just about a 5 minute sketch with the Prismacolor Premier 03 on the corner of the page in my sketchbook.  Such a quick sketch probably doesn't count for much practice.

Jenna inspires us in the forum to work more.  She lives up Wisconsin and was in a real deep freeze this past winter.   Jenna sculpts with wire, does sketchbord, draws and paints. She is an author.   Oh, and is a photographer as well.  Check out her work on her blog http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/




6 comments:

Joanna said...

Nice sketches!

That Jenna's very talented!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you for peeking in. I appreciate it. Yes, Jenna is a great artist and fun to correspond with on wetcanvas.com

Bag Blog said...

Very nice sketches - always inspires me.

We leave today and may not communicate for a week or so. Thanks for all your thoughts on Peru. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog.... Oh wow! Have such a great time!!!!

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Jo! You are so great about sketching, I know I don't do enough. I LOVE your plein air piece. I'm glad you are keeping busy, I sure miss Susan painting for us.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Barbara, thank you. My sketching with the Scavenger Hunts has gone on so long that now I feel guilty if I don't sketch. Sometimes I don't give it my full effort. But at least I keep sketching! I miss Susan, too. We haven't been to SAT in ages either. I saw her for a few minutes last year at a pastel meeting in AUS.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)