Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Memories of Buddy


Buddy, my cousin, passed away at 90 years of age.  He was a big part of my life when I was a teenager.  My Dad worked as a cowboy on a few of Buddy's ranches.  I spent a lot of time with my Dad trying to be a cowboy, especially during the summer. 

It was always an adventure.  Buddy was modernizing his ranching style keeping ahead of the crowd.  Buddy was always so busy and he would come by and leave a note on the kitchen table which was the custom if someone at a ranch wasn't home.  He knew my dad didn't need any supervision to get things done.  My dad thought that Buddy, as the boss,  should have waited to talk to him in person.  Dad would either ignore the note or just quit for a while.  That is why I say he worked on a "few" of the ranches.  Buddy would talk him into coming back to work at a different place. 

Branding was always a big event each year.  The cowboys gathered the cattle in the morning and branded in the afternoon.  Cowboys would always rope the calves on horseback and tie them down for branding.  One of the summers Buddy brought butane heaters for the branding irons, so much faster than wood fires.    Buddy came up with the idea of separating the cows and calves and penning the calves alone in a small corral.  There were two flanking teams, two on each team to throw down and hold each calf for branding.  Buddy did the branding, my dad castrated the bull calves, Helen (Buddy's wife) vaccinated and I was on one of the four flankers.  We branded 110 calves that afternoon!  It must have been a record as we had always branded 25 or so on a given day.   We finished up in two or three days what normally took a week or more with half the cowhands.

I have no photos of Buddy.  This is Dad at some other branding.  You can see the cows and calves are all together.  Looks like he is putting something on the calf, maybe it was de-horned.

I have missed seeing Buddy and his family.  Buddy and Helen had six children.  When I was there for the summers, there were just four, two were born later.  They were little and always rode and "helped" with the gathering of cattle, branding, etc.  They turned out to be great cowboys but when they were so little, they were into everything.  Helen passed away many years ago.  We see the family only occasionally now.  Too bad how our lives change and we grow away from family that we were so close with.  Maybe we will see some of them this summer.  I hope so.  Many good memories in the memory bank.  Rest in peace, cousin!

8 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I've been to a few brandings similar to what you describe. Most of times when we worked on cattle, we penned and sorted them and then used a squeeze chute. Fond memories - like your memories of Buddy.

I was looking back at an old post on my blog and found a comment from you where you mentioned the Tierra Amarilla courthouse raid. I had never looked that up before, but I did today - interesting stuff!

Joan Tavolott said...

You could write a book with these stories. Nice memories!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, we used chutes,too, for larger animals. Always flanked them for branding. I loved being a cowboy! We will miss Buddy for sure.

The Tierra Amarilla raid was interesting and scary.

Joan, hi there. I've been trying to get Gene to write a book for the kids. I plan to for the kids but haven't yet. Sigh......

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

So sorry for your loss Jo, Hugs and much love
Rae

Anonymous said...

I started writing a couple of weeks ago. I had started in the old house but, as you know, all my notes burned so I started at square one. Unfortunately you know what has happened to my memory but I do remember things occasionally and try to writ them down. So there you are then as they say in Canada.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Anonymous Gene! I am happy that you are writing stories again. Keep it up! Maybe between the both of us we will get some memories on paper! Hugs. Love ya!

Joanna said...

Love y'all's stories. I was telling Jennie she had to ask Dad about something earlier today. I didn't want to tell his story. And, now I can't remember what it was. I hope she remembers to ask. Sigh...

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, surely Jennie will remember. :) You should write more, too.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)