Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Sketches for #347

I did some very quick sketches at some point while getting ready for First Friday.  Sketching was actually relaxing.  It took a while for me to feel that way. 

I have mentioned many times before that sketching is like homework for me.  I try to sketch something almost every day which is why I call it homework.  Sketching is so good for my painting.  I "see" better when I draw as opposed to painting.  In painting "lines" or edges show up with color and shadows.  In drawing the lines define the spaces.  Crosshatching makes the shadows.  A different mindset is necessary to get the same results.

Taking part in the Scavenger Hunts really helps.  I get ideas of what to sketch and ideas to sketch things I wouldn't normally look at for art.  Unusual items like in the bathroom or under the sink, dirty dishes, trash cans, etc.  Sinks, tubs and toilets have curves which, like cars, are not easy to portray with "lines".  New items help get me out of drawing by habit and make me think.

This practice helps, believe it or not.  My style of sketching doesn't change much, but I see that I can be more accurate and faster when I apply myself.  That is the real trick for this procrastinator!!

Here are some of my sketches for Scavenger Hunt 347 done in the new big sketchbook with Micron and Prismacolor pens.  A couple more with the challenge of using unusual colors for the items.


Number 4, top of stapler
Number 5, bottom of stapler
Number 6, two or more staplers
Number 7, top of shoe
Number 8, bottom of shoe

Number 9, two shoes together


First Friday was fun.  Not a slew of people out in the cold.  The weather was nicer than expected without wind or lots of rain or sleet.   Those that came out had a good time wandering around downtown Bastrop.  I will post more about it soon.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Jo, I have just had a wonderful time browsing all your lovely paintings in recent posts. Love those little pastels! As always, I am inspired by your discipline and commitment in daily sketching and by your well-rendered sketches of such a variety of objects. I know my sketching skills are weak and just completed a helpful series of 4 classes with a fine teacher. Now, to practice more, which, as you say, is the only way to improve.

Rosemary said...

Hi Jo, your sketches just get better and better! After each visit, I vow to sketch more - you are an inspiration! Have to tell you "Mishmash" and "Cutting Up" are fab! Your colors sing - way to go!

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, thank you. I am happy to be back painting more. Sketching has kept me going.

Rosemary, thank you as well. I do love color. Nice to "see you". :)

mary maxam said...

Sketching is so great for all kinds of things, both relaxing and practice. Love the shoes!

Jo Castillo said...

Mary Maxam, thank you. I sketch my shoes a lot as I sit and sketch with my feet up most of the time. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)