Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, October 18, 2013

I have been auditing Xanadu's mentoring with Jason Horejs.  He is mentoring Carolee Clark, Oregon artist.  He has some good advice as a gallery owner.  I think you can still join in, information on his blog.  http://www.reddotblog.com/wordpress/

His advice this week is to start your painting/studio time in the morning and put off all social media until late afternoon.  Such a good idea.  I have been good in the past about checking e-mail, facebook, etc., only 3 times a day in quick intervals, then leaving browsing and goofing off until late evening.  However, lately I have really fallen back into old habits.  I have been checking e-mail while I have coffee and then getting sidetracked and look up and it is noon!

I started the new program yesterday.  I finished my donation for the Crisis Center (previous post) and today I packed it up and got a new project started.  I hope I can keep this going for a while.  I can make so much progress.

No e-mail or any social media suffered by waiting until afternoon.  Ha.

I also sketched while having my morning coffee and started Scavenger Hunt 333 which  started on October 14.  Sketching is a good warm up for my studio time and gets my brain working toward painting.

I sketched in my Canson sketchbook with a Prismacolor Premier 03, a Micron 01 and added a bit of colored pencil on the last ones today.  I sketch freehand and quickly to practice looking and putting down a mark.  If you see well, you mark well.  When I get lazy, I get poor perspective, check my stool below.

Number 1, step stool - the red and chrome stool.  Gene took the back off and now it is much easier to use.
Number 2, sweets - M & M's
Number 3, clear container - the M & M jar

Number 4, whole tree - the tree out back that I still haven't been near enough to see if it is one tree (one stump) or two trees.  How long have we lived here??
Number 5, mushrooms - some wild ones growing in the yard.  They were very big and open.  Wonder if they are edible??  I'm not checking!

Number 6, ribbon


Number 7 map - maps from the car.  The Texas map gets so much use, even with GPS.  There are so many roads that I usually pick a route before I turn on the GPS and then see if it is going my way.  We have driven in the area here and try to vary our routes!  We pick up a new Texas map at the welcome centers.  Guess where the other maps are from?

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I can't believe you don't want to test the mushrooms! :-)

I'm guessing one of the maps is from Kentucky.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, you are right. "There's only one .... " I think Pat Poer (cousin) used to test mushrooms. Luckily he is still around. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)