Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, July 19, 2013

Pastel Painting .. WIP!


You will be surprised.  I am working on a painting!  I will post as a work in progress (WIP).

Yesterday I unpacked my pastels.  Right, I hadn’t done that since our arrival back in Texas.  Of course I now have only two weeks to paint and then pack them up again.  What can I say?

I then arranged and sat down and took the paper off my new pastels and many old ones.  You know I am lazy and some of the colors that I never used, I just left wrapped.  Then, because they were wrapped I never used them, right?  It took more than an hour.  Now I can use any color.

I do the same thing when I paint with oils or acrylics in a different way.  If I am getting close to the time I have decided to quit for the day, I will keep trying to finish without putting out more paint.  If I am low on a color I just ignore that and carry on.  

I was reading about preparation for painting and having everything in order  and planned out should help.  Why do I make it harder to paint, when it is hard enough as it is?

So you will see from my photos, I am ready to go on this painting.  I am using a couple of reference photos which I cropped and arranged on the computer instead of sketching.  I will rely on my memory and feeling of being in the high desert which I love to bring life into the scene.


My studio is set up, the underpainting is done and on the easel.  I only need to put down the mats I stand on and the drop cloth.  All set to go.

My pastels are unwrapped and ready, too.  The box in the upper right has wrapped pastels, they are duplicates of colors I have in the trays.

And here is the start of the painting.  It is 11 x 14 inches on Pastelbord.  I did the under painting with pastels and water.   It is a windmill painting, can you tell?  Right now it looks a little like a lake.

I’ll be back with more details.



* * * * * *

For my art link today, visit with Rose Welty on her blog and see her quote for the day (which is very appropriate for me today) and her beautiful peonies.  Rose is such a fine and dedicated artist.  She is an inspiration and has been a wonderful on-line friend.  We will meet in person this year I hope.

http://www.rosewelty.com/2013/07/18/peonies-and-the-impossible/#comment-34

6 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Jo, No wonder it's hard to get going - that is quite a setup. I don't think I could ever do pastels, I am far too lazy! So glad that you persevered and have started this painting - can't wait to see how it turns out. And thanks for the mention - I do hope that we get to meet this year, that would be so fun!

Joanna said...

Yay! WIP!! Go, Mom! :-)

Those peonies of Rose's are quite pretty.

hmuxo said...

You are SO organized, Jo. I love your pastel set-up...I look forward to seeing your pastel painting!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, Rose, pastels are for lazy me in many ways. No brushes to clean, leave it as long as you want and come back later, brush it off and start over, etc. Smile.

Hi Joanna! Thanks. Rose is an inspiration for sure.

hmuxo, thank you so much. I'm trying to be organized so I can walk in my studio and just paint without having to do an hour or so prep. I'm lazy about that though. I get my work space covered with other stuff. Sigh.... I will take a photo of that, too.

Joan Tavolott said...

Great start on this!!! Looks like you are all set to work.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks. I have progress to post, hope to get to it today!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (974) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1795) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)