Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First and Last Sketches Hunt 187 and New Mexico Photos, More Raccoons



Sorry to have been absent, we went to Albuquerque to see Joanna and Gene's Mom.  We had a great time.  I managed some sketching for Scavenger Hunt 187 while Mom Frances played bingo.  They were done in my medium sized sketchbook with a Micron 003 pen, very quickly, freehand.


Number 1, stretched - the plastic trash bag in the basket and number 2, leg - the leg of one of the wooden end tables.


Number 3, soft - tissue on a table and number 4, folded - a newspaper.

Joanna and I went to Magdalena as well.  Joanna wanted to visit her Aunt Velma.  It was a nice drive.  The country is so green.  I just had to capture the Ladron Mountains again.  I also got the fog as we were leaving Angel Fire on Sunday morning, early.

There was a Summer Fest in Angel Fire last Friday and Saturday.  They had 6 or so hot air balloons.  I don't think this one made it up on Saturday.
This one was getting close to lift off.  The person on the grass in the dark blue had a stool in hand, I guess hoping to climb in.
As we went on to Eagle Nest for breakfast, the light on the mountains was very nice.
Sunday morning as we left to Albuquerque, the fog was catching that light.
A very beautiful morning.
The light on the Rio Grande Gorge south of Taos, Sunday.
Further south leaving the canyon and near to Española, Sunday.
The Ladron Mountains and the green, green flats.  Very unusual to be so green.  This was on Monday going to Magdalena.
Tuesday afternoon the Sandia Mountains from the north as we left Albuquerque.
And the Rio Grande canyon again between Española and Taos.
 Then after we arrived back in Angel Fire, we had the raccoon visitors again.  I heard something on the porch and saw the mother was trying for the hummingbird feeder again.  I went for the camera and she had found the feeder  empty and was coming to check the drinks we were bringing in from the car.  She was not afraid of me.  I backed up to retreat inside and stomped on the porch and she retreated.

The mom headed to the drinks and to me!!!
The mom pushing right past the young raccoon.
The young one in a bit of a panic .. "Mom, wait for me!"
Their retreat down the stairs.   

Making the retreat.
Gathering the "kids".
OK, get going.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

It was nice seeing y'all along with grandma!

And, crazy raccoons!

Bag Blog said...

Your photos are great - I think you could make some nice paintings from them. I have seen people painting plein air over looking the Rio Grande as in your photo.

The raccoons are very funny. Toby says taking the grand-girls to Walmart is like shopping with coons.

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

What fun you had Jo, we miss you though back in Austin.
I loved the raccoons, cheeky are'nt they.
Also it's a dream of mine to do hot air ballooning, one day... I hope.

Elenka said...

After seeing your photos the phrase should be "
raccoon in the headlights" not 'deer in the headlights"
Well, maybe it should be both.
What eyes!!!!!!!!
Kinda creepy seeing so many, tho.

gene said...

We checked on the cost when at the International Balloon Fiesta in ABQ last October, $300 for 30 minutes. Needless to say we did not take them up.

Gene

Jo Castillo said...

Sorry I'm so late in commenting, I haven't been getting the e-mail notices. Thanks, Joanna, good to see you as well.

Bag Blog, thanks, your grand-girls are very active, but much, much cuter and lovable.

Hi, Rae. The coons are a bit creepy and bold, could be dangerous if you corner them, eh? Ballooning sure does seem like fun. Dream of mine, too.

Elenka, nice to see you here. Yes, the coons are fun to see, but I was a little leery as they were not afraid of me.

Gene, hi there. Rae will appreciate your note. :)

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Hmm, well thanks for info on cost Gene, I will keep that in mind, still seems worth it to me, hope one day I can follow my dream.
Rae

Jo Castillo said...

Rae, good for you. There were four of us! It was more than the tickets for the kids to come from Austin to be with us. Ha. We opted to ride the tram to the top of the Sandias. Good show, too.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)