Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Jo's Studio/Gallery Notes and Work

This is my third post today, so don't forget to scroll on down!

I was at my studio again today. You know, this going out to my studio to paint is almost like work! Hmmm.

Anyway, today I put gesso on several boards to paint on with oils or acrylics. I needed to have some ready for when I get a notion to paint with something besides pastels. I painted the backs of them a couple of days ago with black latex paint. That is supposed to seal the Masonite and make the boards a better surface to paint on.

After that I worked on a pastel painting of a porch. That was fun. I started with a photo I took in Austin and changed almost everything except the idea of the porch.

Here are some photos from the studio.

The corner with the desk where you can see the boards on the shelves. I prepared a couple of larger pieces, too.


This is where I was working. You can see the porch scene on my easel and the balloons paintings on the floor. It was cloudy off and on today so I never got a photo of them outside. I still lack a few touches on the porch scene.

Many of the buildings downtown are getting a face lift with the Main Street Program. They were working on the building across the street last week. Anita's Restaurant is on the ground floor. They have good Mexican food with homemade tortillas.


Today they were finishing up the white woodwork it seems. Looking nice!

My artist for the day is Marie-Jeanne Ribbink. She specializes in pet portraits. I love the horses she has on her blog header and all the horses on her blog. It is always fun to see a "new" to me artist.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Years ago when I took a pastel workshop with Ben Konis, he taught a specific way to prepare his Wallis paper. He diluted either oil or acrylic with either water or turpentine, and painted it on his paper to darken the value of the paper with whatever color. So which do you think it was oil or acrylic that he used? I remember that he liked darker paper, but I cannot remember exactly what he did to get it.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, Nothing like a wishy-washy answer. On Wallis paper you can use about anything. You can put on some pastel and spread it around with a brush with turp, alcohol or water. You can use watercolor as an under painting, too. Deborah Secor just puts a light layer of pastel and rubs it in with a foam brush. Each gives a little different look, but I use water. Less smell and work to clean the brushes, etc. You can use the complement (red under green) or do sort of a drawing in almost the color you will be using. Since you do watercolor you can do a fairly detailed under painting and let it show through in places. Richard McKinley does that.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: The building is so cool, lovely work on the front.

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, downtown is looking great. Bastrop is one of the most historic towns with so many homes with the historic seal.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)