Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, June 12, 2009

Using Colourfix Medium with Pastels

I received this in a comment from Sue Wiley on my post of yesterday:

"I was interested to read that you use Colourfix on Masonite, which I do, as well, on occasion. Do you ever have a problem with pastel wearing the grit down after you have worked on an area for a while and then not adhering in just one spot? I have had this happen twice in paintings, and haven't had much luck in fixing the spots; wondering if you have a solution?"

I have not noticed this problem. I did have some trouble with Colourfix paper when I brushed too much alcohol on it for an under painting. I use water more often, now.

So I checked out the Colourfix site and found a couple of PDF files you can download.

A few tidbits I found interesting:

To correct and remove pastel they recommend packing tape. You can lift one layer at a time without disturbing the layers below. Use a clean piece of tape for each layer.

They recommend sanding down to a smooth surface and reapplying Colourfix if a spot becomes unworkable due to too much fixative or whatever. It dries quickly so shouldn't interfere with painting time.

They do not recommend brushing pastel off. As we all know, you can breathe in the dust. They recommend using a damp cloth to keep the dust level down. I brush very carefully and outside if I have a lot of pastel to remove.

They did say you can wash their Colourfix paper with water and a brush, just lie flat to dry, weight it down if necessary. This means you could wash a board as well.

They recommend it for collage and many other craft ideas, too.
I learned something new and I hope this helps Sue and others. Thank you, Sue, for the question.

4 comments:

Susan Abston Wiley said...

Thanks, Jo, for doing the heavy lifting on this! I, too, learned a lot from your research. Another pastelist friend, Denise Mahlke, also suggested just doing more layers of the Colourfix medium; that way, if one or two layers rub off, there are still more layers to go.

It's a continual learning process for us all, isn't it?

Jo Castillo said...

Susan, thank you for the question. I learned some new things, too.

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi Jo,

Colourfix continues to be quite probably my favourite surface.
I don't know about the damp cloth, won't it affect the "brilliance" of the pigments, even if painted again ? Or lose adherence between layers.
Besides the mentioned tape, I guess that one can also use something like Blu-Tack.
Anyway, I still prefer to use a stiff brush in many occasions.

Best regards,

José

Jo Castillo said...

Hi José, Your photo always makes me smile. :)

I like Colourfix too. The damp cloth doesn't hurt if you are taking off quite a bit and don't touch the dry part. It works like an under painting. I often reuse the paper or boards by brushing off the pastel and then spreading around the residue with water and a brush and paint over it.

I can only see a problem if you are trying to use a very light pastel on top in a thin layer.

Thanks for writing. Nice to see you.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)