Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Windmill at Sunset, Pastel Painting

I finished up this small pastel yesterday, too. I waited most of the day to take photos of the paintings. It has been so hot but overcast so I have a few minutes of sun now and again for the photos. I have to be paying attention and have everything ready for the short windows of time for photos of my pastel paintings. It is difficult to get the blues to read correctly, but this is pretty close, at least on my monitor. The yellow is not that strong either. Perhaps a new photo tomorrow. Hmmm.


Windmill at Sunset
Pastel on Board with Colourfix, 6 x 12 inches
Gold Frame

Preparation for this painting was to put Colourfix Medium on a Masonite board. I paint the back of the board with any latex paint. This seals it and helps keep it from warping. Of course on this small size, that is not a problem. I wipe the surface with alcohol to remove any residue and then painted on two or three coats of the sanded medium. I used a maroon colored medium. Board prepared this way has a rougher surface than Pastelbord which gives the painting more texture which was desirable for this scene.

This landscape pastel was painted for the show during Old Timers in Magdalena, New Mexico, in July. Most of my work will have a Magdalena and New Mexico theme to it.

The Old Timers Reunion is fun. They have a parade, Queen Contest (Must be over 65, I think and a permanent resident), rodeo (must be over 50 or if two are roping in team tying, must add up to 100 or over), street dances, barbecue, cowboy breakfast, arts and crafts, kids rodeo, food booths both Mexican and Navajo and much more. My Dad and Mom were instrumental in getting it started. Mother was the second queen. We used to go to see who the old timers were. Now ... we are the old timers, sad to say. The reunion has always been a time for class reunions and to see old friends. The classes at the High School were small, so reunions usually cover 3 or 4 years. I hope to see lots of family and "old" friends there this year, too.

My blogger read today is José Carrilho, a Portuguese artist in Lisbon, Portugal. I found José in the pastel forum on wetcanvas.com He paints well. His blog is an information blog so check it and his website, too. The link on the blog is to a contest to win a studio makeover. Who wouldn't like that?

The pastelist is Tom Christopher. He posts a WIP (work in progress) or short demo dated June 10, of a road in the trees. It is very pretty and I like how he uses the under painting in the background. I have written about Tom before, but I think his work is nice and worth a look once in a while. :)


6 comments:

Donna Crosby said...

Great composition. I like peparing my own surfaces too. The surface texture is nice.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Donna, It is interesting to try different things. Thanks for coming by.

Susan Abston Wiley said...

Hi, Jo, love the warm lights even if the photo IS off.

I was interested to read that you use Colourfix on Masonite, which I do, as well, on occasion. Do you ever have a problem with pastel wearing the grit down after you have worked on an area for a while and then not adhering in just one spot? I have had this happen twice in paintings, and haven't had much luck in fixing the spots; wondering if you have a solution?

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Susan, Sue, I have not noticed that problem. I do usually put at least two coats of the Colourfix.

See next post. :)

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love those old windmills and the drama here is fabulous!

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, you can tell I love windmills, too. The see through shed on this was so unusual. Thank you for the nice words.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)