Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pastel Painting, Kelly Church Again

I have painted San Juan Church in Kelly, New Mexico, several times. That link has pictures of the church a long time ago. It is interesting as it is the last building standing in Kelly. (There is another photo of the church on this page.) Mass is held there on June 24, St. John the Baptist Day, every year. Church members from St. Mary Magdalene Church in Magdalena, New Mexico, take care of it.

Kelly is just south of Magdalena in the mountains. It was a booming mining town at one time. The Juanita mine there was named for my Grandmother. Many area citizens worked in the mines including my Father.

I notice that in the first painting I did, there was no patio cover on the side. I don't have a photo of this painting, it is in Albuquerque with Gene's Mom. I think because the church sits all alone, the many photos of it look much the same. The trim and door have been painted differently over the years. The steeple was white when I painted it a few years ago and now it is brown again.

At any rate, it is a popular landmark, so I decided to paint it again.

I worked on white Richeson hardboard, Premium Pastel Surface. It is on Gator Foam so it is lightweight but stiff. This will be a good surface to frame against the glass, which I prefer. This board has a very toothy surface which holds a great deal of pastel. I didn't want the white to show too much so I painted an under painting with watercolors.

I wish now that I had made the under painting considerably darker. This pale covering still allowed a great deal of the white to show. It is not all bad, but I would have preferred less. The painting doesn't have as many white flecks in real life. I suppose the digital camera emphasizes the white along with the blue. You can be the judge. I attempted to leave out unecessary details. I do like the end result.


Iglesia de San Juan, Kelly, New Mexico
Pastel on Richeson Hardboard, 9 x 12 inches

The sky always looks so blue in the mountains. The elevation there must be about 8,000 feet above sea level.

This pastel landscape will be for my show in Magdalena in July. You can purchase it ahead of time, but I will show it there. You can take delivery after the Old Timers Reunion. Send me an e-mail if you are interested or have questions.

6 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

Very nice that something sacred from the past can still be part of the future. Nice job.

Bag Blog said...

I wondered about the white flecks since you said the paper was toothy. Maybe it was just a light and camera thing. It is a nice painting.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Jeanne. It is an interesting spot. Remember the cow looking at the toilet photo? That is one of the bathrooms there. :)

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Bag Blog, yest the texture is sharp and sticks through the pastel. Guess it really needs more layers. Hmmm. A pastel under painting would have covered I think. Like I say, it looks different in real life.

Teresa said...

A really nice painting. I particularly like the color of the sand... soft colors and it almost glows.

Jo Castillo said...

Teresa, thank you so much. Those are Terry Ludwig pastels, don't know the names of the colors. :(


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)