Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Loner, saguaro pastel painting, photos

I painted on one of the boards that I prepared a few days ago. The surface is pretty uneven, but worked well for this style painting. I left my typical "real" palette and had fun with color. I don't think it is finished and I am not sure about the blue in the sky .. maybe it should be more teal instead of bright blue. The blue is not as electric as the photo ... of course.

Here is the way it started out. You can see a piece of the sketch to the side.

Getting close to the end of the painting, but not there yet.


I like to have some of the color all around the painting, so I added some in here and there. This is on board with Colourfix primer, 6 x 12 inches. I have a gold frame for it. I will take a snapshot and let you see how it looks. Thanks for letting me know what you think, not usual colors for me. You can critique more than the color .. I can take it. :)


Here is a view at the golf course with the little Rain Lilies from yesterday. Scroll down to the previous post to see them again.


And a little wine cup. These are usually about an inch and a half wide, but this year they are less than an inch and very delicate. The color is fantastic .. very magenta.

And another wine cup with some even smaller yellow and white blossoms. So pretty. I can't tell what that broken piece of metal is in the upper left corner. Maybe it will be there next time we play and I can check it out. I didn't see it until I was cropping the photo. Hmmm.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

The cactus on board is very nice. I really like all the color in your sky.

Teresa said...

Re: palette..... reminds me of the Old Masters colors. Has a kind of late evening feel to it.

Re: flowers... lovely... can't have too many flowers!

Miki Willa said...

You used colors I really am drawn to in this painting. I really like the way you handled the sky. The composition is quite good. I like this painting very much.

Joan said...

I love to see the progression of your work. It is so interesting to me to see the colors change so much...very different from watercolor! This cactus is great!!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. I couldn't decide on the sky for a while. I knew the pale green cacti wouldn't show on a light sky... so.

Teresa, thanks. The flowers are so pretty and so fleeting.

Miki, thank you. I usually stick to what I see, so a nice change for me.

Joan, appreciate the nice words. I like scumbling the colors one over the other.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)