Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dashboard Sketch and Shipping Box, New Paint

I promised the folks on wetcanvas.com, Scavenger Hunt 123, that I would sketch the dashboard in the van. Dashboard was one of the items on the Hunt. I sketched as we went along listening to a book that we had listened to before. It was done in the regular sketchbook with a Micron 05 pen, about 15 minutes. It is not easy to get a line as the car is moving around. But, that is the way it is. Today is the last day of this Hunt and the next one starts today, so I need to go check the new list.


I ordered some new water mixable oils by Windsor & Newton. Desmond O'Hagan talked about using them at the workshop. I have some by Grumbacher, Max, but have not been very pleased with them. I hope that these new oil paints will be more like regular oil paints. We will see if I get a headache when using them as well. I think it is the linseed oil in paints that bothers me. If it is the linseed oil, I will get a headache from these as well.

ASW shipped the items via UPS. The brushes I ordered came in a very cool box for shipping. I think this is the first time I have ordered from them. The shipping was just $5.95 regardless of what I ordered.


The tabs hold the brushes and more tabs are available on the front so you can put in a double layer of brushes.

I will keep you apprised of the results of the new oil colors. Maybe I will try a small painting tomorrow.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Have you considered trying the new Chroma Acrylics? They are supposed to perform like oils. You can adjust the drying time, viscosity, etc., and even apply an "Unlocking" solution to allow you to go back into previously dry paint. I've got a set... but haven't tried them yet... planning to soon. I can't handle oils either... love the buttery consistency but the linseed oil makes in nauseated in 15 minutes or less! Ick!

Bag Blog said...

I do love getting art supplies in the mail.

Rose Welty said...

Art supplies are so fun! Enjoy!

Jo Castillo said...

Teresa, I haven't tried Chroma. I bought some of the Golden Open and tried to use them like acrylics and of course they aren't. Didn't experiment with them enough yet. I have high hopes for these Artisan oils. See how it goes.

Bag Blog, it is so wonderful to get new toys.

Rose, thank you for coming by. It will be fun to open them up.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Lisa from Asel talked about the water based oil paints at the last CAS meeting - I'll be interested to see what you think. That is a very cool box - you can keep on using it, right?

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, hi. I have used the Grumbacher, Max, oils. They are OK but dry a little dull like acrylics and seemed a little sticky. I hope these work as I do like playing in the oils. I like to paint flowers, wet into wet. We shall see how it goes.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)