Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Plein Air Pastel - Yard Art 3

It was a beautiful day here today. We went and walked our nine holes of golf (I won) and then came home. Gene took off on his bike so I went out in the backyard for a little plein air time. I took the pastels and French easel out behind the playhouse and went to work.

You can see the easel way back in between the big trailer and the playhouse. The light changes so quickly, especially under the trees. I have mentioned before that you I have to rush to take photos of pastel paintings. I like to take the photo in direct sun. An artist has to get the light down quickly for a painting for sure. I painted for about one and a half hours.

This was the way it looked at the end of the painting time. I had already boxed my pastels back up before I thought to take a photo. When you are in the "zone" you don't think of photos or anything else.

These are the pastels I'm using for plein air paintings. I don't paint outside often, not as much as I would like to. The plein air pastel carriers made for plein air are very expensive. I can't justify buying one, so I took this Rembrandt box and use it. It came with 60 pastels in it. It has two layers so I put a variety of pastels in it and presto .. a plein air pastel box. It is sturdy, carries the pastels safely, light weight and portable. On the French easel it sits easily on the drawer. I take the Nupastels, too. When I go out away from home I put them in a bag I got at Acadamy Sports for $10.00. It holds the pastels, apron, towel, and all the goodies I need. By the way when I need a new carrier I can get another box of Rembrandts and get a new box and sixty new pastels.

Today I put the Pastelbord on this piece of Masonite, but when I go out I make a folder of foam core. Lighter to carry and protects the painting.

This is the scene I painted. When you see the painting below, you can see how much the light had changed in that short time.

Yard Art 3
Soft Pastels on Pastelbord, 5 x 7 inches


9 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Your plein aire painting is great. I love the lights and darks. Once again, you inspire me to take an everyday scene and make it a nice painting. Sometimes, I find myself not painting because I have not found just the right scene. With watercolor I tend to paint all sorts of scenes, but with pastel, I hold back - I'm not sure why.

Valerie Jones said...

It looks like you had a lovely day, Jo! I love how you captured the lights and darks in your painting.

Joan said...

Jo - You made it better than real life!!! I like the sundrenched look you captured!!! Nice plein air!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. Maybe the holding back is just lack of confidence in the medium. I seldom use watercolor and when I do I feel like I'm just learning to paint .. and I guess I am for that. :)

Valerie, thank you so much. I get a little carried away with darks sometimes. I did put the lights and darks in first because of the light changing so fast.

Joan, I appreciate that. I do think it looked more sun saturated in person than the photos or maybe I just like color, eh?

Anonymous said...

JO, I just saw this on WC... but thought I would comment on your blog. this is a lovely plein air! Looking at your pastels makes me want to get my fingers dusty again!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: Beautiful painting and you did capture some wondeful light on the trees.

Jo Castillo said...

Maggie, thanks for coming by. Pastels are addictive. My favorite medium.

fishing guy, thank you. I have learned to like trees after about a year of trying to paint and sketch them. They are not as easy as they look.

Anita Davies said...

Oh this is beautiful Jo

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Anita, thank you so much. Nice to "see" you.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)