Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Powwow Tease Photo, Thoughts on Next Level

I have been thinking about how one gets better as an artist. Practice of course and developing a style or portfolio of work are some of the ways to work toward that. I do feel daily practice is the most important and I fall into the weekly category now I would imagine. I keep thinking I'm doing better at using my time and painting more, but that takes effort and dedication. I do tend to procrastinate.

Stefan Baumann from the Grand View has interesting comments on his daily blog , Saturday, May 3. He paints landscapes and on the Grand View on PBS they present a National Park or beautiful area, discuss that and show his plein air painting for half the time. Beautiful spots they pick to paint. This is a quote from that post, "As I faced my own challenges when painting today, I was thinking about what is it that causes some people to achieve excellence, while others settle into a mediocre complacency. What would you have to do to take your art to the next level?"

This gives us more to think about. Maybe I should go paint and quit thinking!

Here is the first post of photos from the Gathering of Nations in Albuquerque on April 25. One of the dancers going down to dance. They bring their costumes in suitcases and boxes and end up doing most of their changing right on the bleachers. You can really see what goes into the end results.

Ah, no painting this morning, we are off to the baseball game.

4 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: Now that's a head dress. It makes him much more impressive.

Jo Castillo said...

fishing guy, as I recall his face is painted mostly white. I will try to point him out in another photo. :)

Nancy Moskovitz, artist said...

I too am just catching up. Thank you for mentioning and even recommending me!
I am enjoying your photos immensely. Your flora is very different to my eyes.

Jo Castillo said...

Nancy, thanks. Do you ever catch up? Some of the blogs I usually read have over 20 posts that I haven't read. Argh... Maybe this summer in New Mexico with no baseball. Glad you are enjoying the flowers.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)