Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Word of the Year and other notables from the newspaper

Gene, my husband, loves to read and really likes to get a newspaper to peruse every day. There were some days in Canada a few years ago when we were so far out in the country that the paper would come a day late about noon. He would have to buy it and read it the next morning with coffee, making it two days late. Ahhhh.

In Silver City this past summer he would get the daily Albuquerque Journal. It was published in Albuquerque in the afternoon for the next day, so it was like reading a day old paper as well, especially any breaking news or late sports. Here he reads the Austin American-Statesman for a daily read. We also get the Bastrop Advertiser, twice a week.

I just got an e-mail from him (all the way across the room) that I would like to share with you:

"Locavore has been named the 2007 word of the year by The New Oxford American Dictionary. I somehow missed it and if you are like me and missed it as I suspect you might have, I will tell you what it means. It is a word for people who eat only food grown locally (usually in a 100-mile to 150-mile radius). This invaluable information was Food and Life section of the AAS yesterday.

Two more interesting things I learned in the same paper:

1. The Green Bean Casserole was developed by The Campbell Soup Company in 1950, I was only 9 years old when it was developed.


2. In Judeo-Christian tradition, graves are usually aligned on an east-west orientation, with the feet facing east, which would allow the dead to rise on Judgment Day to face God. Rayne, LA, claims to have the only cemetery in the Judeo-Christian world in which the graves have a north-south orientation. The city does not know exactly why it happened but says the most likely reason is a mistake by a gravedigger. The cemetery is included in "Ripley's Believe it Or Not!"


So there you are then.


Gene"


I would like to share Leslie's answer as well:

"So what you’re saying is, if I die because I don’t stick to the locavore eating pattern, and have funyuns on my green bean casserole, when I’m buried in Rayne, in a north-south orientation, I will not see God, but I will make it into Ripley’s?

Guess what’s on the menu…


Hope you guys have a delicious Thanksgiving!


Leslie"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and putting funyuns on your casserole might get you on Jo's blog, too!
I like the part about the email from across the room. You two are SO romatic :)
I just took the pumpkin pies out of the oven.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jo Castillo said...

Leslie, I thought I smelled pie! Are we romantic or lazy? That is the question. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, back.

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)