Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Windmill, Too .. Pastel Painting


Windmill, Too
Pastel on Masonite with Colourfix
10 x 16 inches, framed against the glass, in a black metal frame.


I finished the windmill painting to take to Peppers in Magdalena tomorrow. I did not take any photos of the work in progress. The Colourfix was a maroon color. The image is from a couple of photos and some good memories. The mountains are the Magdalena Mountains on the west side. The windmill was near Cliff, New Mexico, and the second low tank is from a memory of one at the Pie Place north of Magdalena. The windmill poured into a tall tank and then the lower tank filled from underground with a float to keep it from running over. We used to swim in the bigger tank, well, I used to get in the tank. I couldn't swim much in those days. The water had alkali in it so was not drinkable by humans. To take a bath in it and not itch to death, we would add Tide to the water. Hmm. I guess we got clean, even if we didn't get rinsed very well. :) Is that a good memory or not?

The drinking water at the Pie Place was rain water. When it rained we would wait until the roof was rinsed off (I'm not sure how it was determined that the roof was clean enough), then open the tank and catch the water. We would let it sit for a couple of days after until the gunk had settled to the bottom and drink from that. They would fill a big bucket and wrap it with gunny sacks. This was wet down and hung on the porch to cool for drinking. Everyone would drink from the same dipper. I guess it gave us strong stomachs.

I prefer to drink from a faucet these days. I just don't care for water that sits around. I know tap water sits in a tank somewhere, but I want it moving when I get it. I always preferred the spring water from the Pino Place. It came rushing out of the ground, nice and clean. We hauled it about twenty miles from there when there was no rain. I have not been much of a water drinker over the years. So you folks drink your expensive bottled water and I will get mine flowing from the faucet.

3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I love the windmill pastel and the childhood memories. It reminded me of some of Kenneth Wyatt's art work - specifically a painting of a windmill tank with a cowboy looking in the water and seeing the reflection of himself as a child. Wyatt is from Tulia, TX and has a little art gallery in Red River, NM. You can see this print at www.kennethwyatt.com on page 18 of his prints.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, bag blog. I will go over and have a look, I think I have seen his work. Will see if it is what I remember.

Jo

gene said...

I was in your blog already, I like the way the paintings look.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)