Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, September 03, 2007

Tree Study Finale, Pastel Painting, Shade Tree

This pastel study of the big shade tree is bringing my tree studies to completion. It will not be the end of painting trees, of course..

Shade Tree is soft pastel on Amersand Pastelbord, 8 x 10 inches from a photo taken in New Mexico last summer.

I worked on studying trees for the month of August. Maggie Stiefvater instigated the idea. At the time, I was working on cottonwoods and was not happy with the result, I decided to just follow through and investigate trees for the month.

The experience taught me a few things and reminded me of some I already knew.

  • Each type of trees have their own structure, just like people or other subjects. A good skeleton will give you a good tree.
  • Paint or sketch what you see, don't make Christmas trees or cotton balls. Suggest leaves in masses, don't do each leaf.
  • Vary the greens, noticing if the green runs to the yellow or blue side. I like to have the compliment, red, in my trees.
  • Take note of the time of day and weather.
  • You can shape the tree with your sky or background color with "sky holes". The color in the holes is slightly darker than the sky or land.
  • Like other landscape composition, you have to overlap and vary the height. I think this is important, even if in real life the trees make a fairly straight line.

Coincidentally on Friday, I received the Pastel Journal for October containing an article, "5 Takes on Trees". The first, Karen Watson has a very realistic style with strong color. Very appealing to my eye. She says she doesn't get caught up in details and changes the scene to better her composition.

Then Jack Pardue who agrees on accuracy in drawing but uses color to keep it interesting and full of life. Nice trees, I guess that is why they chose him, right?

Sarah Bee, focuses on light and minimizes detail. Exciting color with little true green.

Britani Faulkes says, My pastel paintings are often described as anthropomorphic." She paints the shapes more than details.

Brett Varney simplifies trees and uses unusual color and imagination in his oil pastel paintings.

In the end, each artist interprets trees in their own style and palette. I paint in a realistic way, so I need to keep closer to the actual colors and shapes. Practice and experience will help my paintings to convey my ideas and inspiration to the support and on to the viewer.

My tree study posts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shade Tree is wonderful. I was immediately drawn to the little house out back...the doorway, and the shadow. And the tree! How great it looks. You need to be happy with this one!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Leslie, Thanks, I love little shacks and barns. Hope you are having a great Labor Day.

Jo

Joanna said...

I agree with Leslie: very nice painting.

Rose Welty said...

Jo, this is lovely. Having tried to paint a tree tonight, I am all the more in awe. You have that tree a very real presence in the painting, but in a carefree casual way that makes it seem effortless. Well done.

And thanks for the links. Those are some incredible trees!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna,

Thank you. I enjoyed working on the adobe look.

Hugs,
M

Jo Castillo said...

Rose, Thanks. After all this month, maybe it will become effortless. :) See ya,
Jo

Bag Blog said...

I agree, the painting is lovely, and the tree is great. I appreciate the way you are working to learn to paint what is hard for you. I would like a lesson on water -oceans, lakes, reflections - give me a hard time.

Jo Castillo said...

BagBlog, Thank you. I don't know much about watercolor to even point you in the right direction. Have you ever looked around on wetcanvas.com? Without joining you can look in the watercolor section. Bet there are works in progress and demos there.

I'll put my thinking cap on.

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (205) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (971) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1790) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)