Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, September 03, 2007

Scavenger Hunt 54 Host, Blue and more

I am the host for the present Scavenger Hunt #54 on wetcanvas.com. The host lists 26 everyday items to sketch. The participants can sketch as many or as few as they want. The Hunt lasts for nine days. I have been in most of the Hunts for the past year. I average about 10 of the 26 items. The most I have done is 16. Maybe I can do more this time. :)

Several of the artists complete the list. There are a variety of artists, skills and styles. We try to encourage each other and comment on the sketches. Some do almost finished drawings, some use color, we had one computer sketch artist, but he hasn't taken part for a while. More about that later. It is a good way to sketch new things that you wouldn't ordinarily pick and it encourages me to sketch almost daily. I have even finished a couple of sketchbooks. Sketching is not my favorite part of art, but it is so good for my painting and to train my "eye" to see and put down strokes in a controlled manner. I have improved my speed and if I pay attention, it has improved my drawing. I am impatient so tend to plow ahead without thinking. For the most part, I am learning to control the excitement and slow down and see the flowers. I usually sketch with a pen so I cannot erase. This should make me look better before I put down a line.

To start this Hunt, the first three sketches are done with the Micron 005, blue, in the NY sketchbook (for newcomers, a sketchbook from the NYMoA (a gift from Regina) about 6 x 8 inches. About 35 minutes, total.


#1, Something Blue, Budweiser bottle, the neck is too squatty. #2, something glass, a glass candle holder.

#3, Towel rack, a paper towel rack in the kitchen.


As I was checking out wetcanvas.com today I found this article about sketching. If you haven't seen it you might enjoy it. You do not have to be a member to read the articles.

The artist that sketches on his computer is Walter Logeman, Thousand Sketches. He is really getting great with his sketches. I especially like his horses and people, skylines .. well, his more representational work. (That is just me.) He does abstract work as well. He has been visiting the States from New Zealand for the past few weeks and set up some gallery representation in New York. Congratulations, Walter!

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)