Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, September 07, 2007

Sketches and More ...

I'm not sure how I started reading Anna Sellers blog, I think she commented on my blog or I saw her on wetcanvas.com. She is amazing in her dedication and work to realize her desire to be an artist. She recently joined in the Scavenger Hunts with us so I imagine her blog will feature more Scavenger Hunt posts. She has been working on copying and learning from an Aachen painting starting in July. Here is her start. She is at the finishing stage now and is letting the paint dry. :) She did an incredible drawing in graphite and is developing it into an oil painting. On her post of September 7, she has a link to a fantasy artist, Jonathon Earl Bowser, (take note Leslie) that is very interesting. He has some landscapes to die for. He is in Calgary and many of the landscapes are from beautiful British Columbia.

Anna's method is a great way to learn. I'm learning a great deal by following along with her. As you all know, I am way to impatient to work hours on a drawing. Maybe I should, but I just can't. I have done pen and ink drawings with a pencil sketch to start and I enjoy it, maybe I'll do one when we get home to Bastrop. Not now of course. Ha. I even drew individual Christmas Cards the first year we were in Bolivia. I did about 60 cards with a pencil drawing of a llama by a church and finished it with ink. The next year I drew a card and had them printed. It was with the old lead, wood cut style so the ink stood up in relief. Pretty nifty. Would have cost a fortune in the old U.S. of A.

Jeanne Grant, one of the Scavenger Hunt artists, asked Katherine Tyrrell at Making a Mark how she develops her sketches into paintings or finished drawings. You can take a look at Katherine's post today. As I have said many times, Katherine is my working art encyclopedia. I am always astounded at how much research she does on a regular basis. It is more amazing as she has time to sketch, draw and paint as well.

For my part, here are a few sketches that I did on our trip to Truth or Consequences at the B & B, the Black Range Lodge in Kingston, New Mexico. I thought my children might enjoy the first one I did.

It is Gene sitting by the front of the lodge working on his journal. No cell phone service there, but they had wireless internet. :) This and the next also fit in with my tree sketching, right?

There is one of the entrance wagon wheel and trees.

A sketch of our dresser and window in our room.

Another room with an arch. This window looked into the banana greenhouse room.

For the Scavenger Hunt #54 that I am hosting, here is number 9, a rug. this is one of the rugs in the living room here in the rent house. I have a plastic cloth over the end table and a cover over the rest of the rug with my easel set up for pastel. It is in the generic sketchbook about 6 x 9 inches with a Micron 005 pen, about 35 minutes. There are only two more days, it's not looking good for me to get many more done. :(

7 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Jo, you keep going on about these hunts and you are going to convince me to try one! :-) Nice sketches...especially the rug.

Jo Castillo said...

Rose, They are interesting and keep me sketching. Sketching is such a good exercise and I do not do it on a regular basis if I don't do the Hunts. I feel guilty if I don't take part .... so I keep at it. I do think it is good for me. At least I hope so. It does take time.

Jo

Joanna said...

That first sketch did make me smile. :)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, I thought you would smile. Our room was above with the deck over the sign.

Mch

Making A Mark said...

I've been to Truth and Consequences!!! Last year - we had lunch at La Cocina, one of the restaurants there, on our way to Albuquerque

You can see my drawings of a ristra and the heads of a dead deer and a dead elk in Chilis and a big elephant butt

Thanks for the link, the mention AND the compliment. I'm going to have these all down some day! :D

You're absolutely right about the benefit of regular sketching. Everytime I see anybody start to sketch on a regular basis and stick with it, I've seen huge improvements in their work.

Jo Castillo said...

Katherine, I remember your visit to NM as we were here as well, but in Silver City. We went to T or C on Sept. 22 and I sketched on the other side of the lake with the local group. (Sketch posted 9/23/06) Beautiful early in the a.m. Also one of the cooks from La Cocina is now in our Texas home of Bastrop and has a restaurant called Grace's. Small world!

Jo

Jo Castillo said...

Katherine, I forgot to thank you for commenting and stopping by.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)