Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Jo's Art Business?

The last few years, I have been at a sort of cross roads and needed to decide if I was going to be a true full time artist or do it as a hobby. This is really an "I" am thinking out loud post. If I put it in writing, then I will be more responsible in following through with plans and goals. After considering working at being a full time artist, I will continue on with a half way plan. I do not plan on pursuing the life of a full time artist. I'm not really sure I ever fully considered it because I do not care to be on schedules and deadlines and work full time at this time in our lives. Gene is retired and we have a great time traveling and enjoying life. I can keep my internet presence and hopefully my connection with Peppers Art Gallery in my hometown of Magdalena, New Mexico. I plan on teaching a class/workshop in Bastrop in the winter. I will keep my membership in the Austin Pastel Society and take part in as many of their activities as possible. I fully intend to keep growing in my artistic ability and do the most professional job I can.

I would like to have a public studio/gallery. Lea Cundy, friend and potter in Bastrop, and I keep tossing around ideas of how to accomplish that with our schedules. We both have problems with the summer. I am away from Bastrop and she is a foster mother, so her summer is full of teenagers. We shared a studio a few years ago, but with just the two of us, we could not keep it open full time. I enjoy the atmosphere of having an open studio and so does Lea. It would be great to be in downtown Bastrop so you can have walk-ins as well as our regular customers/supporters. Something will come along, right? Any ideas?

I am attending a Bob Rohm Workshop in October at the Bunkhouse in the Hill Country of Texas. It is a plein air workshop for pastels or oils. The workshop still had openings a week or so ago if you are interested. It should be a big help in general to spur my interest and aptitude for plein air. I will be going with Regina. She and I have a great time painting together.

McKinney Roughs, 16 x 20 inches, Pastel on board

We even painted this painting together, worked on it plein air at McKinney Roughs, for our show in June of 2005. (scroll down on that page) We continue to support each other long distance and look forward to the time we can spend together in the winter months. We live 46 miles apart and it takes a little adjusting to get our schedules together.

In working toward improving my art and work ethics, I am joining a small group of on-line artists to work together to critique, support and become friends that work together to grow as artists. This should be a great morale boost for all of us. Rose Welty is gathering the group together. More later as we get organized.

A marketing note: Clint Watson in San Antonio writes a newsletter called Fine Art Views. He writes part of it himself and also gathers other newsletters that he feels are relevant to artists. He picked up one that is interesting. In the archives, read "So You Want to Be an Artist?" first and then read, "Of Course You Want to Be An Artist!". What do you think? Marketing is certainly important and a difficult thing for some artists to accomplish on their own.

9 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Jo - I'm pleased to see you are also becoming part of a cyberchums group. I highly recommend doing as much as you are confortable with while not creating any uncessary stresses which take away the enjoyment that art can offer.

Is there maybe scope for a local artists' co-op arrangement re a studio/gallery?

Making A Mark said...

Plus I forgot to mention that I always find that workshops are really great places for comparing notes with other people about what they want to do and have achieved - they;re great for giving me food for thought. I hope you get that too.

Jo Castillo said...

Katherine, Thanks for coming by and commenting. I forgot to mention that Rose had started the group from your ideas. I will mention that when we start the postings.

The co-op idea may work. We need someone for the summer! We are sure working on what to do. There is an art group with gallery, but we want our own thing. Heh, heh.

Maybe we will win the lottery!

Jo

Rose Welty said...

You know Jo, there are people who work full-time who are not professional about their work. I think it is sensible to know where your priorities are...and to say that art isn't the first priority, but the priority that you give it will receive the best that you can give...well, that sort of strategy is how to be successful at life, imho. Looking forward to the days ahead!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Rose. That is about the conclusion I came to. Your insight is appreciated. I'm looking forward, too.
Jo

David said...

Mom,

I think you need to do what makes you the happiest and enjoy life:) he he

Bag Blog said...

It sounds to me like you are a full time artist :) I posted about a place called Art Central here in Calgary. It had lots of art galleries, but the one that caught my eye was a place divided into small cubicles where artist each had their own "small" studio and gallery. It was pretty neat. It made me think of the antique malls at home where people rent a small space in one giant room. Then they share people running the whole business. It could be done with artists.

Joanna said...

Nice post, Mom. You get my vote, all the way.

And, by the by: note how David has finally broken down and created a profile. Next thing you know, he'll be blogging. I'm just saying...

Jo Castillo said...

Hi David, I think you are right! Fun to see you here.

Bag Blog, I noticed that in your blog. There is a huge one in Alexandria, VA, called the Torpedo Factory. It was excellent and they made big bucks on a once a year auction that paid for classes, etc.

Thanks, Joanna. Maybe David will start a private blog like your father. :)

Mom, Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)