Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chile Store, Pastel Painting, WIP

WIP, work in progress.

I started a new painting in soft pastels. I prepared a new surface for me. Gene cut me some masonite in 16 x 20 inches. I sealed the back with acrylic medium/varnish. I then painted two or three coats of Colourfix Fine Tooth Primer in burgundy. After it dried, I looked at it for a couple of days to decide what to paint. I have an idea in mind for an old cottonwood here in SVC but I want to do it larger so continued to contemplate.

I finally decided what to paint. I did a quick sketch in my generic sketchbook to check the crop of the photo. I then put on a little color with pastels and brushed it in with alcohol, putting some blue across the top where the white tent and the sky would be. The other part I put a little bit of dark blue. I sketched with a light blue pastel. I moved the pickup so that it was behind the tent somewhat and moved the chile around. I plan to put some chile in the bed of the pickup.


I start with the under painting and a light sketch. Plans may change so I don't get to heavy handed yet. Sometimes what is put in a sketch or an idea in my head looks completely different when you get it on the painting surface.


Next I developed the pickup so I could check perspective because I moved it closer to the tent. I worked on the main focal point, the vendor and sign. I will continue to develop the whole painting as I go.

I did work a little more in the focal area. I plan to work around the painting, changing colors to fit the mood and put some of the colors all over the painting. For example the plastic can in front of the vendor is really gray, but I feel that there needs to be green in other areas than the trees and pickup. I stuck some green in the background shadows and will turn those into fruit boxes. They actually have blue labels, but need the green, there is plenty of blue. I extended the tent roof some and may do more. The pole holing up the tent should not fall on a line of the pickup.

Before I bring the focal point to anywhere near completion I will work on the background and negative space. Bear with me and check back for the finish.

2 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Jo, I've never done a pastel, or seen one done...this is very interesting. It's nice to "get inside your head" a bit and hear how you make decisions and why.

Jo Castillo said...

Rose, Thanks for stopping by. Pastel is so fun. Be careful if you try it, it is addictive. It is very tactile, which I like. The fact that you can just leave it and walk by and add something and ignore it again are a plus. The instant results pull you in as well.

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)