Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Trees, trees and more trees....

Maggie Stiefvater is working on trees this month. How nice is that for me? I hope to work along with her. See how it goes.

My bane is trees as I told her. At least I can't get those cottonwoods. I feel pretty good about my pines and oaks. :)

So I think I will play along for awhile and see what happens. We are traveling this weekend to Albuquerque. There are many cottonwoods by the Rio Grande, so maybe, maybe I can sketch in person. Or at least get some new photos. On the computer at home, I must have fifty photos of them. That is the way it goes.

I looked for cottonwood paintings last night on Google. One that kept coming up was a painting or two of Georgia O'Keefe's. Those are a big help. I think they look like chamise bushes. :) My research is not good so far. My book on sketching trees and other things is at home. I don't even remember what it is called. Will make a trip to the library when we get back. Maybe they have some art books. It is a small town.


At any rate, I went out in the yard today and sketched the mimosa tree that is there. It says on-line that they grow to 25 or 30 feet tall and have a short life as trees go. This one must be in its senior years. I sketched it fairly close, some leaves and flowers, and then a further away sketch. The tree is interesting, it has bumps where the small branches start and they appear to be on the "up" side of the limbs only. Feathery flowers in pink, yellow close to the stem.

Now to try it in color. That will have to wait until next week. Check back and we will see where we are at, then. The flowers may be gone, but we can fudge that. :)



You may remember that I painted some roses with acrylics the other day and didn't post them. So I sketched the roses today to have a better look at them. This will probably help the painting when I get back to it. All these sketches today are with the Micron 05 burnt umber pen in the NY Sketchbook.

Now I need to go see what Maggie is doing........

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1800) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)