Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Sketch, Hand and Bug Catcher

Scavenger Hunt 43 is on the way on wetcanvas.com. I started sketching these Hunts to keep me sketching regularly. Sketching is not my forté. I tend to plunge in without much of a plan in the excitement of getting an idea down. In my sketching, I try to work in pen and ink so that I can't erase. Sketching like this makes me really look at something and make a plan before I put pen to paper. I'm not always successful, but I do think I'm getting better or at least quicker. You can tell in my sketches if I have thought it out or just started putting down lines. Wonky ellipses, perspective, etc. By sketching from the Scavenger Hunt list, I draw things that I normally wouldn't. You can sketch any landscape and the viewer will not know if it is true to life unless it is a very famous or well known landmark. Sketching well will help in painting. In painting, if I do a detailed drawing, I cover it up with pastel, oil or acrylic. If I am accurate in what I see, I can paint without as much thinking and planning. That is super, because I like to be done quickly. If I take too long with a piece, I get bored and over work it.

It is also good to vary your medium once in a while to force you take care and be watchful of your technique. With this in mind, I did the first sketch today in pencil, an ordinary #2 in my generic sketchbook. The drawing is about 6 x 8 inches and took about thirty minutes. I did erase on the bug catcher .. tsk, tsk.


Number 1, your hand with fingers curled and number 2, make something from a piece of paper, then sketch it. I made what we used to call a bug catcher. We would draw bugs inside when your fingers opened it one way and none when opened the opposite way, We would show it empty/blank and then touch it to someone's head and open it with the bugs showing and say we got them off their hair. Ah, kids. That is the extent of my origami skills, besides making a hat that looked like a boat from newspaper. So this is my hand with the bug catcher.

And .... I posted before midnight! Wow.

No comments:


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)