Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, June 08, 2007

New Pastel Painting, Sketch and Baseball Notes

The NCAA Super Regionals are on for baseball this weekend. While I watched, I sketched and painted.

First, after golf, I sketched for Scavenger Hunt 43 to warm up for painting.


#3 and #4, a stuffed animal and a figurine, and #5 a grocery bag. The stuffed gorilla is about 8 inches tall and so soft and cute. He is black and has velcro hands so he usually hangs on my lamp on my computer desk. It took longer than I thought it would to sketch because of the dark color and all the lines. (I bought a watercolor sketchbook in Michigan with Sue, I should have used that and watercolors - maybe next time.) The figurine is from Peru and is a copy of an Incan antique, made of pottery. The grocery bag is woven nylon from Bolivia. It is multi colored. It is probably at least 20 years old. Still good, we usually carry our snacks in it in the car. I guess I should use it for groceries and save the planet. I never think about it. Shame on me.

Then I touched up the Magdalena painting and am calling it finished. I will take a photo tomorrow and you can see the improvements. I have to figure out what kind of frame would look good on it. The one I planned to use is too brown for the blue, green painting. I have to frame it for the show. Or you could buy it now and then you could frame it as you want. :)

I decided to do a small painting for the show as well. I found a photo I took along the highway in New Mexico near Magdalena and cropped out these two yucca plants. I like the results. I will take a good photo tomorrow. This was very yellow from taking it with the lights in my studio. I fixed the photo as best I could, but it lost its vibrancy. I was excited about it though, and wanted you to see it as soon as possible. Check back for the better photo.


This is 5 x 7 inches on Ampersand Pastelbord, sand color. It will be framed in a wooden frame, sort of maple color. It will be right against the glass. Some pastelists say you shouldn't frame against the glass. Then you tell them the French have done it for years and for some reason that makes it more acceptable. Weird? I have been doing it for several years now and it works fine. You don't have to worry about the mat slipping or having pastel dust fall on it. They look like oil paintings except for the reflection. You can use museum non reflective glass to solve that problem.


The baseball games were interesting. We watched Louisville clobber Oklahoma State, 9-0. Guess the fact that it is the first time for Louisville to play post season, they are all hyped up. Everything worked for them today and nothing worked for Oklahoma State. I would like Louisville to go to the College World Series, but since OSU is a Big 12 team, I would like them to go as well. Oh well, what happens, happens. Fun to watch, since it doesn't affect the Longhorns. Then the Texas Aggies played Rice and Rice won in 10 innings. Drat. Whatever happens there, only one Texas team will be in the World Series. :(

My friend, Janice, here in Bastrop is a St. Louis Cardinal fan and two of the Longhorn players were drafted by St. Louis in the Major League Draft. Kyle Russell and Nick Peoples were their selections. That would be great if they make it! We could root for them together. You can read about the draft and how it affects the Longhorns on Joanna's page. She has a review of the draft on her draft summary page. We always want them to be drafted and make it in the big leagues, but don't follow or enjoy the professional games. There you are, then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your yuccas, Jo - there's a beautiful afternoon glow to it. Lovely use of complements in this.

Have you heard any advice about framing pastel under acrylic as opposed to glass. I've heard pros and cons but I don't have an opinion on it yet. I know some watercolor competitions insist on plastic glazing. I wonder what pastel competitions say.

Jo Castillo said...

Karen, Thanks for the comments and visit.

I have heard more cons than pros for using acrylic over pastel. They say it attracts the pastel dust so gets a hazy look after time. I framed one for shipping, but the purchaser was going to switch it out when they got it. It scratches easy.

I have noticed that competitions are asking for acrylic when the paintings are shipped in. Less breakage and weight, I suppose. The Austin Pastel Society is still accepting glass.

Guess I should try it so we would know more... Hmm.

Later,
Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)