Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, April 01, 2023

Watercolor Challenge

I'm hosting the Water Media Challenge for April on creativespark.art this month.  I put up some of my photos.  I'm starting off with a scene in Montana.  I'm getting more used to using watercolor for sketching but painting is different.  


This is in a watercolor sketchbook, 7 x 9.5 inches, I bought in Michigan when visiting Sue many years ago.  It is about half full.  I want the sketches in it to be in watercolor so ....  You know I don't do as many watercolors as pastels.  

Watercolor dries lighter in value.  I was surprised that the water came out  so green, it was more neutral blue green on my brush.  The shadows were more purple on my brush as well.  I'm sure mixing with the green did that, but it didn't "look" as brown when it was wet.  I need to practice all that.  The light bush in the upper middle was too dark and I used some white gouache to make that lighter.  I was putting the purple behind it to make the contrast and you see the brown results.  Complements really make their counterparts show.  They say it is because your eyes don't blend complements so they move back and forth.  I'm not sure, but something works.

You can see the photos and paint along with us here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/april-2023-watermedia-challenge.5321/#post-89725

I painted this scene way back in the old days from life in oils.  I was using water miscible oils and had some of the same trouble getting the light on the bush.

Jacob's Creek, oil on panel, 10 x 8 inches

Something I've learned painting outside is you have to go lighter than you see because it looks darker inside on the wall.

***  ** ***  **  ***

I have been reading about Michael Chesley Johnson since my first workshop I took in Montana after we moved to Austin when Gene retired.  That would be 1994.  I was looking for a workshop with him because he was in New Mexico and we could stay in Magdalena and visit with family.  It didn't work out time wise.  In the meantime Michael moved to Maine, then Sedona and is now back in New Mexico.  Sue and I finally signed up for one of the workshops in Arizona and then there was a problem with one of our schedules and we cancelled so I've only known Michael by internet.

If you have been thinking of or trying abstracts you will find this post interesting.....  From Michael Chesley Johnson's blog:

Abstracting the Landscape: Workshop with Scott Gellatly

https://mchesleyjohnson.blogspot.com/2023/03/abstracting-landscape-workshop-with.html

 

 ***  ** ***  **  ***

The Longhorns won against Oklahoma State last night 5-3.  Hopefully they will do it again tonight.  Hook 'em Horns! 

You can read about it here:

https://texassports.com/news/2023/3/31/no-21-baseball-opens-osu-series-with-5-3-win.aspx

 

I decided to sign on to ESPN+ to watch the game.  What a racket.  It has gone from $6.99 a month to $9.99 a month in one year.  It wouldn't be so bad if I watched more sports.  But.....  

I did get hooked to the end of the Texas State - Arkansas State game when the Longhorn game ended.  I tuned in and it was the bottom of the ninth.  Texas State was behind one run.  They tied the game and went into the tenth.  Arkansas State went ahead a run in top of the 10th. TX State got two on and a walk off single so won. Ty Harrington, retired coach from Texas State,  was the color guy on ESPN.  That made it more interesting. 
 

The announcers for the Texas game were the worst I've ever heard I think.  They were not interested in the game at all.  Rambling about old times and old major league rules and not understanding the new NCAA rules.  Pitiful and I paid $10 for that.  I will try again tonight and listen to Craig Way on the Longhorn internet broadcast and watch with no sound.  The Longhorn broadcast is always behind a few seconds but their talk is usually about the game.  They also know about the competition and tell about the players and strategy.

2 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Your watercolor came out nice! I'll have to go over and check the photos.

When I was visiting with my sisters in NJ the other day, my brother-in-law was checking out his options to find a way to watch the Yankee games. (George came from NY and has been listening to the games on the radio in Maine.) Now that he is retired he has the time. The least expensive option he found was $70 a MONTH. I get annoyed because the cable package we picked was partly because Jerry wanted the Yankee games. Last year they started showing them on other streaming platforms once in a while. I think they were on Prime and something else. It is annoying! I'm sure it will be the same this year.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. You really need another project! Ha.

Yes, the TV/Streaming is such a racket. With the games we've noticed since Covid the announcers don't even go to the games, they watch on TV and announce from home. Saving money and charging us to make a fortune. Sigh..... We don't watch any professional sports anymore.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)