Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, April 15, 2013

Hurry and Post these Scavenger Sketches, Sue, Etc.

I have been neglecting this old blog.  Old in every sense of the word.  I've had my blog since 2006 and I am getting to be ancient.  My energy level is dropping but I still get a kick out of posting, reading, sketching, and all.

For Scavenger Hunt 309 I managed a couple or should say I sketched and then made them fit the list.  Heh, heh.  Our host for this Hunt was EP, eyepaint, up in British Columbia.  Fun!



Number 1, soft - the little dog and Number 2, furry - the little fuzzy rabbit  These were done with the Pentel markers.  No blending with those.

 Number 4, Relaxation - Sue sketching on the steps.  Micron 01 pen.


Number 3, tall - the old iron bridge, again with the Pentel, no blend, markers.  This was a sketch for a painting.  Will post the painting later.

Sue Modrak, from Michigan came to visit.  We met in 1994 or 1995 at a workshop in Montana and have tried to see each other and paint every year.  Her late husband, Wally, was a great friend and fun for Gene and I to know as well.  Some good times in Montanta, New Mexico, Texas and Michigan.


Sue gave me a new sketchbook.  It is 9 x 12 inches.  It is a Strathmore Visual Journal with heavy paper  and it says that it gives you 48 pages of freedom!   I sketched Sue on the porch above and this ink and watercolor at the Bastrop Riverwalk.



The new sketchbook is part of our ritual of getting together every year or more often when we can.  We have marathon painting while she is around - daylight to dark.  This year we sketched more than paint, but we did have a good time.  We added in some sightseeing and music.  Gene treats us to dinner and conversation to end the days.  Thanks Sue for coming to see us and the gifts.

These geese are Sue's sketch.  Sue is an inspiration for sketching.  She sketches in every spare moment and has a wonderful touch.  We were at Fisherman's Park where she was sketching the geese when I was doing the bridge.  The one in the bottom left stayed by her side the whole time and pecked at her brush.  It wanted to be her pet and come home with us!  It even followed us to the car.  And, no, we didn't feed the geese!

For Scavenger Hunt 309 which ended yesterday, I also sketched in my regular sketchbook.  

Number 5, signifies spring - a stretch, the green vines, new grass and flower starts behind the Art Connection building in downtown Bastrop, where we had fun visiting with Judy Hawes, my jewelry lady.  Then we went shopping in the Bling store.  I even bought a blouse and I don't do Bling.  They have nice things and make it fun to go in their store.  We also bought a cane for Gene's new collection at the Apothocary's Hall Antique Shop.  Downtown Bastrop has some very unique shopping .. not made in China.

Number 6, coaster - a plastic canvas coaster in red, white and blue.  I bought these to replace some that Gene's mom, Frances, made for us.  She was so good at it and made beautiful things.  I was sketching with a Micron that had blue ink and it ran out so had to go to a ball point Zebra pen to finish.  There is always a story to each sketch.



10 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Your sketches are always fun. While in Paris, we found a little art supply store - I was like a kid in a candy store. It was Jesse who bought some little colored markers and a sketch book. She then proceeded to sketch funny little pictures of our trip.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Bag Blog. Sketchbooks leave you with such good memories. Good for Jesse!

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Great sketches all around, Jo - these look great. Ya'll must be having a wonderful time. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks so much, Regina. I miss our painting days. Maybe this summer when we come to Kentucky.

Rose Welty said...

So fun to see your sketches Jo, glad you are having a good time.

Jo Castillo said...

Rose, we had a great time. Maybe someday we can get together to sketch. Who knows??

mary maxam said...

Hi Jo, it looks like you are pretty busy to me and enjoying it all! I need to take a page our of your sketchbook and draw more!Fun to see and good post.

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, sketching is like homework for me. Sue has been a big supporter and pushes me to keep at it!

Joanna said...

Good sketches! I'm so glad Sue came out for a visit. I enjoyed seeing her!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joanna. It is always good to see Sue, sketch and remember the good ole days.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)