Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Angel Fire Show and Fire in Bastrop

The show on Saturday, September 3 was fun.  There were lots of people there.  (Doesn't look like it in the photos, but it had rained a little then so traffic had slowed down.)  My make shift booth worked out pretty well.  I have the heavy folding table with us for the small paintings and Gene attached pegboard to a ladder so I could hang paintings on both sides.  With my other easels I had most of my work on display.  It was a great way to pass the day.  I always have a door prize.  Sixty people signed up to win a print.  A visitor to Angel Fire won and I will deliver it tomorrow.

My set up.  The door prize table was across the sidewalk but moved as it was getting wet!  Yay, love the rain.
This was down the way, other booths.
We left on Sunday for Gene to go to the dentist, so I haven't been posting.  Too much time in the car!
This is along Interstate 25, near Truth or Consequences, NM.  The light on the hills was great and it was raining somewhere!
On the way down, Joanna called about the fires in Bastrop.  Oh my, it is horrific.  500 homes burned, 25,000+ acres burned and 5,000 people evacuated.  We don't know about our home yet, but the photos on the internet and the stories make us think it is gone.  We won't know until they let folks back in the area.  Please pray and think of the families.  They lost livestock, pets, homes, businesses, etc.  A couple of firemen have been injured.  I am so thankful for those brave people that are trying to help.  I'll let you know when we know more.  Thanks.



7 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Jo, you were in my thoughts since I heard about the fires in Bastrop. I'm so glad you're ok.

I hope your home is safe, the worry must be enormous.

Rose Welty said...

Glad you aren't there to be in danger, but the worry must be devastating.

Will you be going back early?

Rosemary said...

Your exhibit looked super! Have been thinking about you since seeing the Bastrop fires reported on national news! So glad you and Gene are safe but can't imagine how sick with worry you must be. Am praying your home is ok. So very sorry to learn Carol Marine lost her home and studio but glad she and her family are safe! The loss of 500 homes to this fire is beyond my comprehension.

Bag Blog said...

Oh Jo, that is horrible. I will be praying for families and for you.

Jo Castillo said...

Jeanette, thank you. We are so fortunate to have so much of our personal stuff with us. Others that were gone for the day have the clothes on their backs. So sad.

Rose, thank you. We aren't going back until we know something as we may not have anywhere to stay. We still don't know.

Rosemary, thanks. The show was interesting and my stuff looked good considering I don't do that kind of a show often and don't have the equipment. I liked the ladder stand Gene made for me with peg board. Yes, so sad about Carol Marine and the others that have lost homes. They are more scattered than I thought they would be.

Bag Blog,thank you, too. I will let you know when we hear.

Hugs to you all. :) Thanks for checking on us.

Joanna said...

Waiting to get in is the hardest part.

(My verification word is "carwifi"...ha!)

Making A Mark said...

Hi Jo - so sorry to hear about that you may also be a victim of the wildfires.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be away from home and hear news like that.

Do let me know if I can help in any way.

Thinking of you....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)